SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbntn74

Tell me what you think...

Missy Benton
12 years ago

What do you think this house would look like if the one face with stone was just stucco? Does the stone add anything?

We are building a house that will look very much like this one. It is what many will consider a "McMansion". It is not my dream house but I hope to love it. In fact, I love older homes with their character and charm but the oldest neighborhood in our district is 25 years old and we just sold our house in that neighborhood. I will miss it but we needed a bigger house and didn't want to move the kids to a different school (because we're in the best public school in the district in one of the best districts in the state and nation) and to get a bigger house and stay in this school this neighborhood was our only option. HOA regulations dictate much about our build. I'm ok with that. The house is built so the style will not change. What I can change is whether the exterior has stone or not. I noticed today that I really prefer the houses that are all stucco and only have stone along the bottom (around the entire house). I don't like the houses that have one or two faces (if that's even the right word) of stone up to the roof. I like consistency. It's the same feeling I get when I see houses with grids in the front window but not in the back or brick in the front, but siding or stucco on the sides and back. It just gives me an unsettled feeling.

So, would I be crazy to remove the stone and do all stucco (except for the bottom)?

Comments (14)