SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

Want to replace baseboards, window & door casings

ILoveCookie
11 years ago

Our current baseboards (2.5''-3.5''), window & door casings (2.5'') are quite small, compared to the crown molding (about 4'').

So I am thinking of replacing them with 5'' baseboard, and 3.5'' window + door casings, throughout the house.

However, the larger-sized trim won't fit in certain areas. Here are pictures of such areas (they all have 9' ceiling). I read that it's better to keep trim size uniform throughout the house. Would it look funny if some areas have smaller casings than others?

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Should I leave all the vertical trim as is, and only change out the baseboards?

Regarding baseboards, one challenge I face is, some windows sit really low, only a few inches above the floor. How do I go about changing out baseboards in these places? Below are some pictures.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Another challenge I face is, there is lots of wainscoting in several areas (foyer, 1st floor hallway, and dining room). If I change out the baseboards in the rest of the 1st floor (kitchen, living room, office, etc), I should change out the baseboards in these areas (those with wainscoting) too, right (so it's continuous)? If so, do I need to re-do the wainscoting/chair rails, so the proportion doesn't look funny?

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

It sounds like a lot of work. I am contemplating on doing all this by myself on weekends (with husband's help), to save some money on installation. (We were quoted at $3 per foot for installation, so it would be almost $2k just to change out all the casings and baseboards in the master bedroom.)

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Comments (8)