SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rtseattle

New baseboard moulding with old door casing

rtseattle
4 years ago

We are getting ready to install new baseboard moulding and I have a lot of questions. I think we are going with primed fingerjoint which I'll paint white. If there's an all-around-better material choice, I'd love to hear about it. We're working with a budget and the main concern is that it looks great painted and will be somewhat resistant to dents. This won't be used in bathrooms, but will be in the kitchen and throughout the rest of the house, so moisture isn't a major issue. The original door and window casing is staying and will eventually be painted white to match the new baseboard. The casing is about 1 3/4" wide. I would really like to use 4 1/4" baseboard, but I'm worried the contrast in width will be too great. Has anyone done something similar? As an alternative, I'm looking at 3 1/4" baseboard, which is less dramatic. I really want the taller look, if it won't look bad with the narrow casings. Photo 1 is the current baseboard with door casing. Photo 2 is the 3 1/4" baseboard with the door casing. That's the safe choice. Should I go for 4 1/4"?

Comments (4)