SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778634

is anyone a Red Hat member?

User
11 years ago

I was just wondering what its all about. They won't tell you anything or where they have meetings on the website before you join. Just curious if its worth the price.

Comments (13)

• monica_pa Grieves
    11 years ago

I was told you have to be asked to join....they think they are very special women, and don't want to bother with the riff raff.

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

It might depend on where you live and what they do. We had a group of Red Hat gals put on a terrific program for our senior citizens memorial meeting. Some sang, some play instruments, some gave very short talks, some either read or gave poetry etc. In all, they were terrific.
    They explained that they did this about 3-4 times a year for different occasions, they also went out to lunch.but not every month, and had birthday/anniversary parties, but did a variety of things.
    Other groups just go to lunch, have fun etc.
    Yes they are special people and you are right, it is not for everyone, but then that is true of any organization. That is why we have so many for us to make the decision.

• marie_ndcal
    11 years ago

double post

This post was edited by marie-ndcal on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 21:58

• patti43
    11 years ago

Hmm, I thought the concept was just ladies getting together and doing lunch and having fun together. Sounds like that's changed somewhat. Personally, I like the original idea. Girls just wanna have fun, ya' know!!

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

I was in a RH group~~they were not special ladies, just a group of ladies that got together once a month for dinner, that is all they did~~it was so boring. There was like a Queen Mother, she paid the memebership fee, so none of us had to pay anything to join. And you did have to know someone to be asked to join~~~my 2 pals and I knew the Queen Mother so we got in easy. My 2 pals loved it, I only went a couple of times~~~I have seen RH groups out and about and they have a blast~~some even go on cruises.

So I think it can be fun depending on the group, mine was not my cup of tea.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Joann, do you know anyone who happens to be a member? I don't see anything that leads me to believe it to be an exclusive, by invitation only organization. Once you join (pay your twenty), you'll have access to the chapter information in your area.

Do a google search using your hometown plus red hat society and you might come up with some useful information about local chapters. I do not believe that it's a snobbish, better than thou organization. How could it be..... with those crazy costumes?

• arkansas girl
    11 years ago

So if you aren't a member, you are considered "riff raff"...HAHA! GAH! Sound like some real snobs to me! I had never heard of it until my husband's EX was a member...my husband has no idea what it is or anything about it...why this person would be a member of a highfalutin organization I have no idea...she certainly was NOT!

This post was edited by arkansas_girl on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 19:35

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

It is not snobbish, I think some groups like to keep it small ,easier to bond with each other~~~some areas have big conventions also.

You should check it our Joann~~just google it for your area. When I did that lots of RH groups came up and you just ask to join.

It just was not for me~~~I wanted to be more active and I thought they did community service. The group I was in all seemed to know each other and just formed the group for fun.

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

I'm in a Red Hat group and we're not in the least snobbish. I think those who have formed that impression either have interacted with particular group which does have that sort of women, or have simply formed that opinion based on little or no evidence.
    Our small group of ladies are from all walks of life. Some are still working, some are retired and well off, some are retired and on a pension. Education levels vary, even countries of origin, yet we all get on together.
    The purpose of Red Hats is to just have fun. No fund raising or community service. Our group members do a lot of that already and joined the Red Hats to have a purely social outlet.
    We decide together on activities that will interest us and the Queen organises them. We have been on garden tours, cooking classes, craft classes, outdoor movies with pizza dinners, museum trips, whatever appeals. Not everyone is available to go all the time, we just go with whoever can.
    Our last museum outing was fun, lots of people asked us why we were all "dressed like that" and we were happy to explain that we were just a group of "over 50s growing old ungracefully" :-) Some people even asked to have a photo taken with us.
    So, I think if you find the right fit group, you would have a good time.

• lindyluwho
    11 years ago

I was in a Red Hat group years ago and really enjoyed it. My Mother got sick and I didn't have time for it anymore. Back in those days you didn't have to pay to join. The group I joined was just forming. Now you have to join to see the list of chapters. I guess they figured they could make a lot of money that way.

What it is: "Girls" 50 and over having fun. The chapters are each different. Some just lunch, some really plan fun activities. Some have very large chapters and some like to keep them small. It's all up to the group. It's about FUN. It's not a bunch of uppity folks who think they are better than everyone else.

What it isn't: It's not a community service organization although it's not against the rules to do community service.

The only rule is there are no rules.

YogaLady, if one group isn't to your liking join another. I knew people who were members of several chapters.

• YogaLady1948
    11 years ago

Colleen, your group sounds like what I had hoped I was joining;)

Lindylu, I would not join another RH group now~~I am off in another direction now;)

I think they are a great Sisterhood for ladies to join~~women do so much for everyone in their lives they need to have fun also.

• dances_in_garden
    11 years ago

My mother is part of two groups, one in her home area and one where her vacation home is. The groups are different, but she likes them both.

The one they mostly get together for lunch or dinner at different restaurants in the area. Everybody brings a gift for the group (something small, usually home made but sometimes purchased at a local flea market. Drink cosies made of purple foam and read feather boa, nice change purses made from red hat material, hand made cards, etc.). They try a different restaurant each time and get together about once a month.

The other group is more outgoing in the sense that they do day trips as well as lunches or dinners. Last one was a bus trip to Shipshewana (flea market in Michigan). Not sure if they do the gifts there, but I think not.

Dances.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

I have belonged to one group in my former town and now belong to one here....and we have no officers nor any dues....and do not call any of us snobbish....just a group of ladies who like to have fun! We go to eat, plays, movies, antique shopping, or anything of interest. Each member takes a month and plans a function and when. Most of do not wear all of the fancy hats and garb...and some times, no hats at all....so we are about fun! So many of us are widowed and welcome the opportunity to get out with others...sure beats sitting home alone.