SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_b_in_wy

Did anyone try Amish Gold or Amish Red?

mrs.b_in_wy
13 years ago

Despite the "help" from an army of bad bugs this year, we managed to up ~45 pints of sauce this year after doing quite a bit of fresh eating. We still haven't had a killing frost, so there may be another half dozen pints in our future.

So despite the disappointments (or maybe because of them), I'm looking for some new types to try next year. I'm pleased to say we found several new favorites this year to repeat next year (Alpine, Aurega, Big Rainbow, Heidi, Sungold F1, etc.). Some varieties seemed completely indifferent to the psyllid attacks as well (Black Cherry, Cherokee Purple, Japanese Black Trifele).

I ran across Amish Gold and Amish Red on Gary Isben's site ($3.95 and $2.95 respectively). The copy indicates they were developed from Amish Paste and Sungold, and (for Amish Gold) the "[f]ruit has the gold color and flavor of the Sungold, the meatiness of the Amish Paste..."

Tatiana's site says, "However, some SSE members who listed this variety since 2008 indicated in their description that this tomato is an heirloom from Kentucky."

They're a bit spendy for my budget, which tends to go to Sand Hill and Baker Creek anyway. I'm not sure I'll have a separate $15 plus s/h, especially if they're just kind of gimmicky.

So, has anyone tried either of these? Your thoughts? Thank you!

Comments (2)