SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Talk me off the ledge regarding using Amish/Mennonite Cabinet makers.

cpartist
7 years ago

Originally I was going to use Shiloh cabinets for my new build. That included not only the kitchen cabinets, but the cabinets between the living room/kitchen, my fireplace wall and my master bath vanity. First quote came in $20,000 over budget.

To bring costs down, it meant I lost the upper glass cabinets I wanted, instead putting in "fake cabinets". It also meant that instead of the quarter sawn oak I wanted for my fireplace, bathroom vanity and kitchen island, I would have to use regular oak. Instead of plywood boxes, I had to use MDF. It also meant I was limited in the grid pattern I could use in the glass cabinet doors. Plus I couldn't do the corner drawers like I wanted and would have needed to use a dead corner or a super susan which I hate.

Here's the link to the thread where I discussed losing the uppers.

I live in an area with a large Amish/Mennonite population. Just out of curiosity a few weeks ago, I made an appointment with one place that had good reviews on Yelp and Google. The cabinets they had in the shop were gorgeous. The quality was obvious. Not only that, but they felt more substantive. Yes they use Blum hardware on all their cabinets and yes the could do anything I wanted.

The gentleman knew I wasn't in a rush but promised that after he finished up a few jobs he'd get to work on mine. That was about 3 weeks ago. True to his word, he called me last week to show me what he had come up with.

So today I met with him (along with the builder's designer) where he presented me with a hand drawn plan. (He only likes computers for email. LOL.) There were a few mistakes in terms of cabinet sizes in the kitchen, but nothing that was major. But where the designer for Shiloh totally missed on the bookcase cabinets and the fireplace wall, this guy nailed those cabinets!

And the kicker is his pricing came in $20,000 UNDER budget and I get my quarter sawn oak for the fireplace wall, kitchen island and bathroom vanity. I also get cabinets to the ceiling in my 10' high kitchen with glass cabinets just as I designed them and in any grid pattern I want on the doors.

The cabinets are built in Ohio, and I'm in FL. So my question is should I be worried? Should I ask for references? They have a huge furniture store and do lots of really beautiful custom furniture and I've seen pictures of their kitchens online, plus the examples in the store.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Has anyone worked with the Amish/Mennonites and what was your experience? Both positive or negative?

Additionally I let him know that if it all worked out, that once we were in the house, we'd have more work for him for other projects.

(Being a New Yorker by birth, it almost seems too good to be true.)

Comments (116)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations