SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adnama_gw

Potato Carrot Soup Recipe w/ Penzey's Seasoning

Adnama
15 years ago

Tried this today when making one-handed meals for a new mom. Adapted a recipe from Cooks.com to include a new Penzey's mix and really liked the results, so I thought I'd share.

Original Recipe from Cooks.com:

POTATO-CARROT SOUP

1/4 c. butter

2 chicken bouillon cubes

3 c. diced raw potatoes

1 tsp. celery salt (or to taste)

1 1/3 c. evaporated milk

1 tbsp. flour

1 med. onion, chopped

3 c. boiling water

3 carrots, diced

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 bay leaf

salt, if needed, to taste

2/3 c. water

-Melt butter in large saucepan; add onion and saute until browned.

-Dissolve bouillon cubes in (3 cups) of boiling water. Add to the onions along with the potatoes and carrots.

-Add bay leaf, salt, celery salt and pepper to taste (more salt may not be needed, depending on how salty your brand of bouillon cubes are).

-Simmer over low heat until potatoes are tender. Stir in evaporated milk.

-Blend 2/3 cup water with flour; stir into soup. Heat and stir until slightly thickened.

Serves 5 or 6.

Adaptations:

Used 3 c. potatoes and 3 c. carrots. (Will probably increase carrots and decrease potatoes next time.)

Used broth instead of bouillon.

Left out the pepper and celery salt and used Penzey's Tsardust Memories (Salt, garlic, cinnamon, black pepper and marjoram). I started with a tsp. and added an additional 1/2 tsp. at the end.

I pureed the soup in batches, adding in the milk at that point. I also ended up adding another 1/2 cup of broth, partly for increased salt and partly to make it a little thinner to facilitate mug sipping.

This is the perfect use for the Tsardust Seasoning, so if you have it (or get it for the holidays), I highly recommend putting it in this soup!

~Amanda

Comment