SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

Potatoe soup recipe's from a while ago

OklaMoni
15 years ago

I just looked in my recipe folder and found these... and want to share, cause of Kath recipe. ;)

Moni

How do you make potatoe soup?

Posted by duckiedo on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 13:09

quit laughing.

Hunny is coming home tomorrow and is bringing a cold front with him.

boil potatoes......then what?

xoxoxoxoxo

duck

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: How do you make potatoe soup?

* Posted by: ImaBusyBee on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 13:15

I keep most of the potatoe water in it and add whole milk [a bit of cream if you dare!], butter, onion, S&P, chives or parsley for a pit of color...and sometimes a bit of thickener depending upon how many potatoes I have or how much liquid I have in it...Pretty simple...actually my ex taught me this way...

* Posted by: Trish_or on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 13:25

The following soup is NOT low-fat.. But man-o-man is it good!!!

Potato Soup

10 lbs potatoes

2 lbs bacon, chopped

1 onion, diced

3-4 can evaporated milk

Pat of butter, optional

Salt

Peel, chunk and boil potatoes. Saut bacon and onions. Once potatoes are ready drain most of the water. Return to stockpot. Pour in enough evaporated milk to cover potatoes. If you need more than four cans of evaporated milk you should substitute regular milk. Add bacon and onions. Add about 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings. Add butter if desired and salt to taste. Leave in the fridge uncovered for the first night to cool.

* Posted by: Terri_PacNW on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 13:41

I use the recipe alot. Don't always keep it lowfat though.

~wink~

It's copied off my webpages..I don't have back up yet.

Terri

Healthy Potato Soup

The basis of this recipe came from a book called Family Favorites Made Lighter. It is a very soothing comforting bowl of soup.

3 med potatoes, peeled and cut up (1 lb)

1 c water

1 c finely chopped onion (1 large)

1 stalk of celery diced

1 whole carrot or a handful of baby carrots, diced

a clove or two of garlic

1 t of instant chicken bouillon granules, or one bouillon cube

1/4 c dry milk powder

2 T flour

2 c skim milk

salt and pepper to taste

2 T snipped parsley or chives

In a large saucepan combine vegies, water, and bouillon. Bring to a boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until vegies are tender. Mash slightly. (Do not drain.)

In a small bowl, stir milk powder and flour. Gradually add the milk, stirring until smooth. Stir in the milk/flour mixture into potato mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more. Ladle into bowls, top with herbs.

Makes 5 servings. Cal-149, pro-7 g, carbs-30g, fiber-1g, sodium-252mg

2001 My Island Kitchen

* Posted by: patches_02 on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 13:46

I do as Trish except leaving in refrig.we're in

to big a hurry to eat it. I also break an egg and

add flour to this till it's thick ( grandma called

it rivulets.) then drop by small pieces into soup and cook awhile longer.

really good

* Posted by: bulldinkie on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 15:03

I melt butter,ad flour to make paste slowly add milk.cut potatoes cook separate,onions with potatoes.Keep adding milk till you get the amount you want but do it slow.When potaoes are soft put cubed potatoes in milk mixture ,crush some potatoes add to milk mixture.You could add ham chunks,parsley.instant potatoes for favoring.

* Posted by: Dtkaty on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 15:14

I boil about 6 big potatoes - drain & chop them

Add 2 cans of chicken broth

1 cup (or more) half & half or evap. milk (I use skim sometimes to save calories)

1 TBS butter

mash the taters a bit to thicken the broth up

season as desired

I always use garlic powder, and Tony Chachere's seasoning salt. Grated cheese,chives and/or crumbled bacon goes on top if I have it.

VERY VERy easy & so yumderful.

* Posted by: Kathy_ on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 15:33

Bulldinkie! I can tell you are from the same area. We called that recipe brown potato soup. Mom makes the brown and the white - or did before WW.

* Posted by: Red_Confetti on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 16:09

Hey, Duckster... the recipe that follows isn't "Potato Soup", but it does have potatoes in it. I always use the little red-skinned potatoes... they hold up better in soup... don't get grainy or mushy.

Polish Sausage Soup

Very loosely adapted from Linda West Eckhardt s Feed your Family on $10 a Day cookbook. This will require a very large pot with lid. I use an enamel canner, about 10 inches in diameter, and maybe 10 inches tall. It makes about 2 gallons of soup. Time required from start to soup is about an hour and a half.

lb. or so of fatty bacon, diced

3 or more yellow onions, coarsely chopped, maybe to 1" pieces

6 or more medium red potatoes (don t peel), coarsely chopped

6-8 carrots (about 1 lb.), scraped and cut into 1 to 1 " pieces

1 lb. kielbasa sausage, cut into " slices (I use Butterball turkey smoked sausage)

1 medium head cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped

Salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste

In a (very) large soup pot saut bacon until limp (about 5 minutes). You want a good pool of bacon fat in the pot. If not enough fat, add some corn/safflower/whatever oil. Leave the bacon pieces in the pot. Add chopped onions and cook slowly until onions are deep yellow, stirring every few minutes so they don t burn. This should take about 25 or 30 minutes. Do not rush this. You want the onions to get a good caramelly color, but without any black.

While the onions are cooking, prepare the potatoes and carrots. Add potatoes and carrots; add water to barely cover. (This will be a chunky soup, not a thin broth!) Bring to a boil, then cover the pot, reduce heat, and simmer until the vegetables are barely tender, about 10 minutes.

While potatoes and carrots are cooking, prepare the sausage and cabbage. (Boil some water, too, as you may need it.) Add sausage and cabbage, and season to taste. (I use about 2 teaspoons or so of salt, and 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper be generous with pepper!) If needed, add a little boiling water to pot to just barely cover all. Cover pot and simmer until the cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.

This soup tastes great as soon as it is done, but is even better reheated.

* Posted by: ImaBusyBee on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 16:18

Oh my I forgot all about adding ham cubes to it...yummy yummy...

* Posted by: bulldinkie on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 19:33

kathy-this is for white potato Im so use to cooking I dont measure.but anyway you mean someone else ate that crap brown flour potato soup????yuk yuk poo poo my dad use to make it uh it had chunks of burnt flour.Then hed pour vinegar in it ,Oh my,,,It was discusting..

* Posted by: Diane_SWMich on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 20:12

I make it like my dear 'ole dad used to..without the butter...very simple.

Milk

onions

salt/pepper

potatoes

He never thickened it or added anything else, except for the butter.

To me, this is potato soup for it is what I grew up with.

Di

* Posted by: grinch_gut on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 20:39

I use Glendas recipe and it is to die fro..stacu

* Posted by: glenda_al on Wed, Nov 10, 04 at 22:05

Stacy, post it!! I have to get my cookbook out, and type it all. How about, ok????

* Posted by: ladyofthehouse on Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 8:17

Baked Potato Soup:

about 6 large potatoes, peeled and chopped.

3 cans chicken broth

3cans water

1 med onion chopped

1 pint half and half

8 0z sour cream

1/4 box of velveeta(the big box)

1/2 stick butter

Boil the potatoes and onion in the chicken broth and water. When they start to soften you add the half and half, the sour cream, butter, and let all that melt. Add velveeta and cook for about another 15 minutes.

This is awesome soup. Of course its not low fat but everyone wants the recipe when I take it somewhere.

Lady

RE: potatoe soup?

* Posted by: ladyofthehouse on Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 8:18

and of course I forgot to say Salt and Pepper to taste. I always assume people know that already

* Posted by: duckiedo on Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 8:39

umhum....

ok....we've got 12 different kinds now...oh dear.

Thanks everybody....you guys...hunny is going to be so impressed!

He knows I really am cooking when he comes in and sees more that one pot on the stove! ooh hoo!

xoxooxoxoox

chef duck

* Posted by: Aunt_Tawny on Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 10:11

I make mine the easy way..... a can of kroger potatoe soup, a little bit of water and equal part of milk.... some bacon bits, and at the last minute, finely shredded cheese...

* Posted by: ShirleyinAdirondacks on Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 10:37

When i make mine, I don't put any thichener in. what I do is make dumplings in it and that really finishes off the meal.

* Posted by: Phyllis__MN on Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 12:36

If I'm in a hurry, I use the frozen potatoes O'Brian, with onions and peppers, but follow the above recipes, which vary from time to time, depending on whether I have ham or bacon, etc.

* Posted by: Des_Arc_Ya_Ya on Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 18:37

Well, thanks, you guys! I just put on five pounds! LOL

* Posted by: Dtkaty on Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 18:44

Do you think potatoe soup freezes well?

* Posted by: joyfulguy on Thu, Nov 11, 04 at 18:53

Thanks, all.

I just can't wait to get out of here, go home and make some of that great soup.

Actually - I have only 6 min. of the two hour allotment for today.

See y'all later.

ole joyful

P.S. Had a problem, living alone, with food going bad in the fridge.

For eight months I make 25 mile round trip to recently deceased step-uncle's farm to make it look lived in, feed dog and cats, water cattle, etc.

Now I have even more food going bad - from *2* fridges.

Rough life, wot?

oj

* Posted by: duckiedo on Fri, Nov 12, 04 at 13:09

ack....good thing you're joyful, huh?

lol!

Potatoe soup is simmering...it's 43 degrees out and the windows are fogging up in the kitchen...time to add the flour and milk...i had to finely dice up the onions, dh doesn't like them....but you HAVE to have them in potatoe soup!

hey, joy, I'm recently aquiring(sp?) a reputation for caring for horses when people are out of town. huh. me and my big mouth. But it is nice that people trust me that much....i have a gas guzzling truck so, i have to charge them some....I've got a job coming up on the 24 and another the first part of december...

thanks everyone!

xooxo

duck

Comment (1)