SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Soup Recipes for Owie Brain (Or Anyone Else Who Wants Them)

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

Diane,

The first recipe is for Taco Soup. It is a great "emergency" soup that you can throw together quickly if needed because most of the ingredients are canned. When I harvest onions, I always chop and freeze oodles of them in zip-lock bags in 1-cup and 2-cup quantities, so all I have to do when making soup is grab a bag out of the freezer.

TACO SOUP (SERVES 12-16)

2 lbs. ground beef or ground turkey

2 cups chopped onion

2 15.50 oz. cans pink kidney beans

2 15.50 oz. cans pinto beans

1 15.25 can niblet corn, drained

1 14.50 oz. can diced tomatoes

1 14.50 oz. can tomatoes with chilies

2 4.5 oz. cans diced green chilies

1 small can sliced black olives, drained, optional

1/2 cup sliced green olives, drained, optional

1 1.25-oz. package Hidden Valley Original Ranch salad dressing mix

1 1.5-oz. taco seasoning mix

For garnish:

corn chips

sour cream

grated cheese

chopped green onions

Brown the meat and onions together in a large skillet and then drain away the excess fat. Transfer the meat and onion mixture to a very large stockpot or crockpot.

Add the beans, corn, tomatoes, chilies, olives, and both packaged seasoning mixes.

If using a crockpot, cook on low setting all day, or for about 6 to 8 hours.

If using a stockpot, simmer over low heat for about an hour.

Serve with your choice of the garnish items above. Some people like to put the tortilla chips in the bowl first and ladle the soup over them, and others like to crumble the chips on top of the soup. Top with the sour cream, shredded cheese and chopped green onions.

Sometimes I use fresh or frozen tomatoes and my own corn sliced right off the cob, and sometimes I used cooked pinto beans left over from some other meal. Sometimes I use Mexi-Corn or Fiesta Corn instead of Niblets.....you get the idea. Oh, and sometimes I either substitute a can or two of black beans for one of the other specified bean types, or just throw them in as extras.

If I am making a "regular" batch of soup at home for the family, and suddenly need to stretch it out to feed a couple of fire departments, I just add a box of chicken broth or roasted red pepper soup that I usually have handy in the pantry, or several more cans of tomatoes. I might have to add a few more peppers or other seasonings to keep the soup spicey enough if I am adding broth or tomatoes to stretch it to feed more people.

The second recipe is for Chicken-Tortilla Soup.

I make Chicken-Tortilla Soup many ways--this is just one of them.

TORTILLA SOUP (serves 6 to 8)

1 whole chicken

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup chopped onions

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup sliced carrots

3 small red potatoes, cut into 1/2" dice

1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano

one 10-oz can Rotel tomatoes with chilies (your choice of Original, Mild, Habanero, etc.)

For Garnish:

1 avocado, sliced

1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

2 limes, quartered

1 fresh serrano chile pepper, minced

Tortilla chips

Using a sharp knife or poultry shears (I call them kitchen scissors), split the chicken in half and rinse well. Place in a stock pot with 8 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and summer for about 45 to 60 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked. Remove chicken and set aside to cool.

Skim the chicken stock with a slotted spoon and remove/discard and floating chicken skin or bone. To the chicken stock, add the garlic, onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, oregano and Rotel tomatoes. Return to a boil, then once it boils, reduce it down to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until all the vegetables are well done. When the soup is nearly ready, cut up all the meat into bite-size pieces, removing all skin a gristle (obviously).

Stir the meat into the soup. NOTE: Sometimes I just add the cilantro to the soup along with the veggies instead of saving it to use as a garnish.

Serve with tortilla chips and other garnishes.

Sometimes I stretch this out to feed a fire dept. or two by adding chicken broth or tomatoes as described above for the taco soup. For a really big fire, I'll add rice, black beans and corn to the chicken tortilla soup and, always, for the firefighters I add extra peppers. : )

The last time I made it for the firefighters, I used 3 cans of Rotel to really spice it up and they really loved the much spicier version.

Dawn

Comments (9)