SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Pimp my pool? (excuse the colloquialism)

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

Our pool is being resurfaced. It is currently white. The coping is a slate tile and we have a stone deck. It is an indoor pool, but it is in a room with 18 french glass doors that lead out to stone terraces. In the summer the doors are mostly left open, so the finishes provide some continuity. In the winter of course the doors are closed, but with all the glass the room still feels like part of the outdoors.

Indoor pools rarely need resurfacing (I think it is the first time since the POs installed it). It was getting a little rough so that is why we are having it redone.

I thought of this as a maintenance project, and really didn't consider changing anything. The pool is a very simple design. It is a simple rectangle. At one end is a hottub. Separating the hot tub and pool is a sort of flat stone bridge, over which water flows very gently.

In our old house our pool was a light grey. I really liked that because I don't usually like the bright aqua that white pools become ... too Floridian. Our old pool had a deep aqua blue hue when filled. We also had cobalt tile and brick coping.

I don't know how grey would look in an indoor pool, so I am reluctant to use anything but white. I also tend to think that the natural look of the slate tile against the stone deck is appropriate for the indoor/outdoor setting and our (1904) home. But then I think about some of the glass mosaic, especially the pearlescent in the darker golden colorways?

I don't think we will have to do this again for at least 15 years or more, so I should speak now or hold my peace. WWYD?

Comments (12)