SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

Worst Rose Names

In my unending perusal of online and other catalogues, this forum, and various other rose-centric media, I've come to realize how important the name is -- but you know this already! I admit I am partial to literary/English/Shakespearian rose names, or anything French. DH laughs at my pretensions, but I can't help shuddering when I come across a rose named something awful.
Like "Ch-Ching." I think that one's the worst. What's the idea? The grower will make a mint selling this yellow blob to foolish gardeners? Nothing against the rose itself, but the name is a turnoff.
So is "Marshmallow Fluff." Yeggh! Sticky, gooey, oversweet and diabetes-inducing ... I'll pass.
"Iceberg"? Does the word "Titanic" mean anything to you? To me it means unmitigated disaster ...
"Jude the Obscure"? Deeeee-pressing. I read that book. Three small children commit suicide. No thanks.
"Oh My!" is another loser. Weak and bloodless.
"Ketchup and Mustard"? You gotta be kidding. Someone get the paper towels -- there's a mess on the table.
Now I ask you: what's got more appeal? "Wing-dings" or "Wollerton Old Hall"?
Nothing against any of these roses, despite their unfortunate names. How influential are names in your rose purchases? If you say, "Not at all," my eyebrows will go way, way up ...
Of course I realize that different roses are aimed at different consumers, and that DA, for example, knows all about people like me and aims their offerings in that direction. Yet I refuse to believe that any sentient being is proud of growing an ugly-named rose.
Opinions? Brickbats? Comments?

Comments (82)