SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

Can some kind soul do a quick photoshop.....

pupwhipped
11 years ago

or send me to a tutorial where I can learn? I want to see the Highland Slate shingles (link below) on my house. The three colors I am interested in are Max Def Weathered Wood, New England Slate and Venetian Red. They are the third, fourth and last choices of the available colors shown. Certainteed, unlike GAF shingles, does not offer a section on their website where I can upload a pic of my house and try on their shingles. You have to sumbit a picture to Certainteed and for $15 dollars they will do it. GAF, on the other hand, has a program on their shingle site where you can do this. And as computer stupid as I am I was able to figure it out and try many of their shingles on my house. So, I was hoping someone here could help me with the Certainteed shingles.

Take pity on me please.....I just had bunion surgery on Monday. OUCH! Oh, and if you prefer a different color or even style then what I chose, feel free to knock yourself out.

A sincere thank you to anyone who can help me.
pup

Here is a link that might be useful: Certainteed Highland Slate

Comments (37)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

You can do it yourself for a few bucks:

Here is a link that might be useful: certainteed upload

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, AnnieDeighnaugh. I'm obviously aware of this as I mentioned it in my post. It takes 5 to 7 business days for Certainteed to send your pic back to you for you to be able to use it on there site...according to them. I was hoping someone here could do a mock-up of the shingles on my house sooner. I am much, much more leaning towards the GAF Camelot II shingles......I've been able to do mock-ups of them on my own on the GAF site. I kinda think that one look at the Highland Slate on my house will tell me what I need to know.

Thank you.
    pup

• Related Discussions

Orchidwiz-- kind soul

Q

Comments (2)
    Phal. Lone Star Fantasia (Phal. Salu Spot x Phal. Ho's French Fantasia) amabilis 16.9 lueddemanniana 16.0 aphrodite 14.8 schilleriana 13.9 amboinensis 12.5 rimestadiana 11.8 stuartiana 6.4 gigantea 6.3 sanderiana 1.0 equestris 0.3 I grew this one a while ago, and really enjoyed it. Too bad you can't get to your OrchidWiz, there's a couple good photos. I think of this as a "French Spot" type, and though oak Hill says white w/ pink spots, mine was more cream background with heavy dark pink spotting, almost tesselated. Really very attractive. Unfortunately, the other two (Merlot Mist and Arianna) are not registered names. I checked on OrchidWiz, and on RHS site. Perhaps Oak Hill can give you the cross... Hope this helps! Jeanne
    ...See More

Anyone willing to photoshop some curb appeal for me?

Q

Comments (123)
    MetroMom- FYI: There is a post on the remodel forum from someone who bought a home with a painted brick exterior. I remebered reading it so I searched and found it! You may want to read his post before you proceed. I know you mentioned something about a concern re: possible transfer in future. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/remodel/msg021538463187.html?9 Hope this helps! Here is a link that might be useful: ideas for improving exterior of this house
    ...See More

If I desperately beg....can someone please photoshop my house?

Q

Comments (67)
    Ha ha! I was really just thinking about pouring a glass of wine while I chill out here. jamaraz, you know that you MUST continue to post pics along the way. (And identify with your screen name in the post) Nothing I hate more than going through the prelim step and then don't get to see the outcome! Thanks funcolors...more good info, and i'm def taking the plunge on the faux wood garage now, as well as finding a way hurry along the blue-green patina over the front door. And while structured topiaries aren't my fav either, I can see that having something taller than the typical potted flowers draws the eye to front entry. Curious, what did you put for the front walk/steps? The slate/flagstone needs a lot of repair and might need to be replaced anyway. CHEERS!
    ...See More

Desprate need of a quick photoshop pic please

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks SquirrelHeaven. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me. :) I was planning on a white tablecloth. I was leaning towards the green but seeing it now I don't think the green is rich enough to pull it off. I like the gold best with it but I'm really trying to stay away from gold on the table. I'm a bigger fan of silver. However I don't think the silver looks so great with that pattern. So either I can look for some richer green chargers or go with the red. I'm thinking of going traditional this year. Here is the whole set. . .
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

If it helps, we put camelot on our house:

It is a very heavy texture and may be too much for your house style. You might want to go with one in the same color, but a little less textured. The shingles we got are so stiff that they had to do copper flashing in the valleys as they can't weave these.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie, I just tumbled to the fact that you were the one who suggested Camelot for my house in my other thread. Thank you! Here's the deal.....help me! My roofing company owner is steering me towards Camelot II because of price and probably because of the weight of the shingle. Problem is I don't like any of the Camelot II shingle color choices. I think I can find a color in Camelot that would look so much better. And listen, I've already spent so much time and money searching out these stupid shingles, I'm prepared to pay whatever as long as I am happy in the end. I hate to admit this, but I've even had a decorator come to my house to help me....let's not talk about that fiasco!

Your house is perfect. Is that Aged Oak on your roof? I LOVE all your stone. Oh, and one good thing about our house, we have NO valleys so we won't need any flashing. Last thing, do you recall how much per square your shingles cost?

Thank you again,
    pup

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, no takers on the photoshop request for Highland Slate. Sooooo, how about voting on the choices in the link below. I think I will have to go with GAF Camelot II shingles because of cost. They will be like Annie's Camelot shingles, but just not as thick/heavy. Camelot II only comes in five colors. In seeing the sample boards, I think the only possibilities are Antique Slate or Weathered Wood. What do you think? BTW, on the sample board I have, the Weathered Wood is a bit more brown then it looks on the computer....in my opionion anyway. And another BTW, there are no homes in my town that have Camelot II shingles on them. The closest is over an hour drive away, and only being eleven days out of foot surgery, I won't be traveling that far right now.

Thanks for any votes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camelot II shingle color choices

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Do you have a pic that shows more of your home's color? On this laptop, I can't tell if it is a gray or taupe.

If it's taupe, I like the Weathered Wood, but if it's gray, probably the Antique slate would be better.

I am picturing the Weathered Wood as blending in well with your setting.

This post was edited by my3dogs on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 11:44

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I prefer the antique slate. Gorgeous and impressive.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

You home looks so charming! I was going to say the weathered brown (grayed?) because your gray looks to be a very warm one. Looking at the other thread pictures, however (wow what a house!!), I'm thinking the gray would look better. It looks more gray than brown-gray over there. It already looks good in the light cool gray.

I think some texture would look great.

Annie your house and colors are gorgeous!

Here is a link that might be useful: Other thread with more pictures

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 13:45

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Honestly, your house is so charming ANYTHING is going to look great. I do think when you get a new roof, you will love how clean and fresh it looks and won't be as concerned about the colors as you are now.

But of the two, because of your wooded setting, I would pick the weathered wood. It will look wonderful on your home, plus it will really coordinate nicely with the large tree trunks that dominate the one view. Don't laugh, I once picked a paint color, called Old Spar, that mimicked the trunks of the trees surrounding my home, so it looked more natural in its environment.

In the link to the color samples, it looks like the Antique Slate is on the home at the top of the page. I don't think it looks great with the colors on exterior of the house.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I was looking at the pics in your other thread and noticed this one. Looking at the asphalt drive in front, that looks to me about the color of the slate choice. If my eye moves that darkness up onto the roof, it just seems too harsh for your home and your setting.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so very much for the help. I know you must be thinking at this point in time that I am one neurotic fruit loop over these shingles.....and you would be right! We have done a ton of work renovating the interior of this house over the last six years, and all that's really left to do is the dreaded roof. I just don't want to make a mistake.

To answer a few questions, the color of the siding is definitely gray. It's SW Backdrop, # 7025. I could have sworn it was Spalding Gray, but hubby just went and dug out the can and I was WRONG. The back of the house always looks darker then the front for some reason. And Olychick, GREAT point about the tar driveway up on the roof. I don't want a big, black, scary roof......that's why I don't think I'm feeling the love with Antique Slate. But, I'm hoping Weathered Wood is not too brown.....it doesn't really seem to have any gray in it. I've already kinda screwed up color wise cause I have this gray house with this orangey/beigey/rusty fireplace. It's hard to find a color to go with both.

Does anyone prefer the look of the Certainteed Highland Slate shingles at all? They are flat, have no depth to them. They get their dimensional look from the contrasting color outline.....if you get what I am saying.

Thank you, thank you everyone!

fruit loop

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Are you able to get a sample shingle in each color to hold up against your paint color? That may point you in one direction very easily.

I've linked to SW Backdrop below.

Here is a link that might be useful: SW 7025 Backdrop

• Olychick
    11 years ago

When I looked at this pic with the highland slate, it looks like it might be the perfect compromise. You have so much roof showing, it might not be as overpowering if you have less texture (although texture would be fine). I can't post this pic, but here is the link to the one I saw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Highland slate

• awm03
    11 years ago

Have you seen the Weathered Wood shingles in real life? They read kinda greige (gray beige mix). It's a very common roofing choice. I'm sure you could drive around and find lots of examples and decide if it appeals to you.

(I still wish you'd choose red)

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

awm03, I know, I know. You and I want the red, but we seem to be the only ones. HA! At this point in time, I'm frightened of any choice I make. Hey, there is a Venetian Red in Highland Slate. No, no never mind.

Now, about Weathered Wood. There is a Weathered Wood color in GAF shingles, and there is WW color in Certainteed shingles.......they are DIFFERENT colors. Also, supposedly GAF's Camelot II is a realtively new offering and are a special order shingle. My roof guy does not have any real shingles to look at. I do have sample boards, but no real shingles.

Olychick and all, do you think a slate like roof like Highland Slate would really look good on my house? It kinda makes me think of a more modern house. There is also another issue I haven't menitoned. The main house and garage house are two separate buildings. The garage house (the one on the right below) does not have the the horizontal lap siding like the main house. It has a composite shake look siding on it.....kinda like you see on Cape Cod homes. Know what I mean? Maybe you can see it in this pic:

Kinda hard to see, but they are totally different. So I've worried about getting a size/shape of shingle that will look good with both. Oh, and see the deck on the main house on the left? When we sit there, we glance over to the left and get an up close and personal view of the roof on the other house. So, if I choose the wrong roof, I'm gonna be reminded of it constantly!!!!!!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Would some kind soul please photo shop this for her!!!??? I'm almost ready to pay the $15 :)

edited to add: I just went to the GAF ELk virtual home remodeler and was able to add the antique slate to your home, just on the right side of the pic of yours I posted here. it was easy and I think will give you an idea of how the color would work. None of your other colors are there but maybe you can see some that mimic your other choices and try those, too. I tried everything to be able to post it here, but they simply won't let you. But it took like 3 min to do.

This post was edited by olychick on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 18:06

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, that the Antique Slate looks too dark. But those were the only two you gave! The brown looks too much of a warm brown with your gray. The weathered browns I see around look washed out more than this one. Although this is not a great monitor.

If you are hesitant with your final choice, you might have one small area done, like half of the bump out peak on the shingled garage house. See if you like it first before going through with the whole house.

My first reaction to a mixed color shingle is that it would be too busy.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I can't believe I circumvented their system! Not a great result as I couldn't get the shakes down to scale but at least you can see the color.

This is antique slate. I'm going to try the color Annie has on her roof as I can't seem to access the other colors.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Here is the aged oak, just for a color comparison of the browner vs grayer colors. wish I could access the red.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I had to do one more, this is San gabriel. I'll stop now. :)

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Hard to see but I don't care for any of those colors. They look too strong and too dark.

• awm03
    11 years ago

olychick, I'm guessing no one's photoshopping this not from lack of interest, but the angle of the first house photo is difficult to work with, and the pictures of the roofing samples aren't great either. In essence, you copy a picture of the roof samples and paste it into the house picture. Sometimes you can skew the picture you're pasting in so the angles line up with the original photo. In this case, you can't get the perspective right as the roof photo is at an extreme angle, but the shingle sample pictures are seen from head on. Also, the color samples seemed off. Venetian Red looked brown, so I wasn't sure how true the other samples were.

This photo is easier to work with. I copied the red roof shingles from a picture I took of our stone shed (you can see snow flakes) and pasted them on to pup's picture. Just need to find some decent pictures of pup's shingle choices.

(And here's our shed. We have a white house with a red roof. The shed & house look nice together with their matching roofs)

By the way, the green house across the street in the picture has a Weathered Wood roof. Don't know which brand. Looks gray in the photo, doesn't it?

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good golly, Oly, you are way too invested in this deal. But, I Thank YOU so much! And how the heck did you circumvent the site to be able to post it here? Now, as I said originally, I have been able to put any of the GAF shingles on a pic of my house through their site. But, the colors just seem sooooo off when I do it. Or are they? I don't know. And I have noooooo clue how to post those pics here as you have done. I may go tinker around and see if I can figure it out.

Comments: Antique Slate in the pic you posted looks greenish on my monitor....it's grayish black on the sample board. The next two colors are in the more expensive Camelot line, which I don't think we will be able to do, rather then the Camelot II line. BUT, I think that San Gabriel color is pretty fab!

Your pics do prove one thing. I don't want to go too dark......in any hue. And I agree totally with what Snookums2 said earlier. I don't think I need a shingle that has a lot of mixed colors. I want my chimney to stand out and not be fighting with a speckled roof.

THANKS!!!!!! AGAIN! Gonna go play around and see what I can come up with.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

awmo3, I think the red roof screams cutie patootie!!! Thank you for the pic. And I have seen the Certainteed Highland Slate Venetian Red on a sample board and it is nice. It is a red more similar to my shutters then it is an orange red. I just don't think I have the guts to do it.

I tried just now to post a pic of my house with shingles on it from the GAF website. When I preview the message here, this site says I have an illegal stream and will not allow it.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anybody like this look?? These shingles are flat but get texture from the irregular shapes. There are a couple of colors in this style that might work for my house. Click to enlarge the pic to get a better look at the irregualr pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: GAF Woodland shingles on a house

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Irregular shapes, irregularity in the coloring, I think I would not mix that with your beautifully unique irregular brick.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

This is the quiet weathered wood color I'm used to seeing which might work. It looks similar to Annie's.

This one below looks darker but you can see how gray.

Can't seem to find it anymore but something like this:

{{!gwi}}

http://www.roofcorpinc.com/brands/gaf-elk/gaf-armor-weathered-wood.htm l>

Here is a link that might be useful: weathered wood

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 12:26

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Snookums2, for your honest opinion on the Woodlands.....you're probably right.

The pics for the two WW colors didn't come up on your second post?

pup

Oh, now I can see the pics.......don't know what was going on before. Thanks

This post was edited by pupwhipped on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 13:19

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's something I found online with pics of Camelot II shingles being installed on a actual house. You have to scroll way down to see the NEW roof as the first many, many pics are of the OLD roof. Around pic #18 you see the new Camelot shingles on the house. The color is the Weathered Wood that I am now most leaning towards. Take a look if you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: GAF Camelot II Weathered Wood

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Pw, once I started, I couldn't stop until I figured out how to post. I did a screen shot then saved it to my computer and posted that as a photo.

I really like the weathered wood, if you truly can't go red. But you could!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I don't like the red, but I admit I am biased. I've seen two done in this area and both looked terrible -- to the point that neighbors and the standards folks were complaining.

I do like the weathered wood, and with that high pitch and large roof surface, I think the texture would be nice -- reminiscent of a thatched cottage. The roof now is too light and washing out the house.

I didn't know which house you were trying to pick shingles for in that first photo -- the little corner or the one beyond. Neither seemed like enough to go by. Glad you got the full front photo.

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, yes, Lascatz, that's it! I want a thatched roof look. That is the thought I am going to keep foremost in my mind.

On that note, I did consider these kind of shingles:

Here's what they look like on a house I found on the Internet:

We even went and looked at a house in our town that have these in a "weathered wood" color. And although they were nice, after awhile hubby and I decdided they were too much....made us dizzy. Maybe I'll go look at them one more time.....they do give a very textured look.

In the mean time, seems like Camelot II is still the front runner. It may not give quite as much "thatched" look as I would like, but it does add texture and is a little different then standard architectural shingles.

FWIW, here's a couple of pics that show the two buildings a little better. Hmmmm, I think my garage doors could stand a makeover, too.

I thank you all for your comments......and welcome any other ideas. And I apologize if my pictures are too big. Haven't learned all I need to know about posting pics just yet.

pup

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If anyone reads this, I have a question about my previous post. The links I posted worked with a picture in preview mode, but they do not work here on the thread. Anyone know why??

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I noticed the other day that when using Choose File, that if you edit the preview, you have to reinsert the image. I also noticed that when using links, they can disappear later. In that case, go into edit and check for extraneous " " marks and spaces which it automatically inserts. It modifies the image address to try to put quotes around the address but fails.

Those are the two scenarios I've noticed.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I've been going crazy about it inserting those extra quote marks, then the photos don't show. It's been happening to me a LOT for about a week. And no matter how many times I've edited out the extra marks, it reinserts them so they won't show. I tried uploading to photobucket, then pasting the html code (these are pics from the internet) and get a message rejected for inappropriate content message. I've been inundating GW with emails about the problem, I wish others would let them know, too.

Pup, it looks as if your pics are back.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Oly, did you try putting quotes around your link to begin with? Then it doesn't need to insert them -- in the wrong place! That seems to be working.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

No snookums, I've never had to do that, but I'll try it. Thanks!!

Edited to add:

Well, I tried quotes both inside and outside the carats and that didn't work. Posting this in case others are having similar problems and looking for a fix.

This post was edited by olychick on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 14:47

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio