SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie123_gw

I didn't think this was going to be so hard!

susie123
12 years ago

I'm trying to finish my kitchen and I think it's going to finish me first. Could you take a look at it and tell me what you think? I feel like I made so many mistakes already. I could really use some help.

One mistake I think I made was the flooring. I wanted to run the hardwood throughout the house but I should have skipped the kitchen. I think it blends too much and makes it look too dark. Do you think it looks that bad? I seriously considered changing it but that would be crazy right? haha

The counter in the picture below is not my permanent counter. I'm getting a granite called amber yellow.

I'm working on a back splash now and could use some ideas. I fell in love with a glass tile by Sonoma called tantrum crackled glass in the earth (chocolate) color and I'd love to use it as an accent some how but I'm not sure of the design.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and ideas.

Here's a before shot.

Comments (32)

• Fori
    12 years ago

Well, you do have a lot of deep wood brown in there. But I don't think it's too much at all. It adds a tasty elegance. Now you get to pick out a rug!

I'll have to hold off on backsplash comments until your counter is in.

It's looking very good, based on that little photo at least!

• texanniew
    12 years ago

I think it's beautiful! I would wait till the granite is in too before making a final decision on the backsplash.

• Related Discussions

Plants you didn't think could go in ponds....

Q

Comments (14)
    A couple of years ago a few pieces of sedum fell between the rocks on the edges of my stream, they took root and have since spread to anywhere there is a trickle of water from the waterfalls - there's no dirt there, the liner extends several feet past the edge of the stream. I would have thought it would rot since it typically likes it dry. I like the way it softens the rocks.
    ...See More

I didn't realize how hard it is to do some things when you dont'

Q

Comments (20)
    As i said my nails didn't fall off but they were grey striped,and red spots,yet they were very strong,and i'll never figure that one out.I actually used one of my nails to screw a screw back into something that had become loose. Now that chemo is over,my nails are no longer discolored,and they grow but are very soft.I was going to try the biotin,but when i read the label it had soy in it,and i have to steer clear of soy as well,so i didn't buy it. Kat ,i hear ya,when it comes to picking things up,i told DH the other day when i went back to work years ago after having kids,i got the job i applied for because i had good finger dexterity,now i have trouble picking up the pills i have to take!!! Hope your nails come back nice and strong,and your hair too if you lost it. (((((((((((((((((KAT))))))))))))))))))))))) Kathi
    ...See More

Whew.... I didn't think I would get here!

Q

Comments (45)
    It took me almost an hour to get in, and I'm not sure what I finally did right. Who knows if I will be able to get in again? I went in so many circles I was dizzy. And I hate that there are so many click-click-clicks to work my way down into Houzz to find these forums. The harder it is to find your place, the less likely people are to use it. I found this out at work when helping develop our webpage. I will agree with others that these pages are awfully dull looking.
    ...See More

So sad - had bushes cut back and didn't think!

Q

Comments (18)
    I pruned back my 8ft forsythias to about 4 ft this week. I have a hedge of them, and every time my indoor cats sneaks outside, he runs straight to the forsythias because he knows they were so thick and overgrown, we couldn't get him out of there until he was good and ready. Will he be in for a surprise the next time he slips out the door!
    ...See More
  • Bunny
    12 years ago

I love your wood floor. I have hardwood in my kitchen and I couldn't live without it. It's all coming together nicely. As fori mentioned, a rug is going to make it pop. The Tantrum tiles are gorgeous in person.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

While your floor does blend with the cabinets it does not make your kitchen look too dark. You old kitchen with a lighter floor actually looked darker. You might want to inject a little color in the backsplash, window treatment and perhaps an area rug in the kitchen. I would wait on those things until you get your new countertops.
    I think your kitchen is looking good! I like the way you raised the ceiling. It makes it look more modern and spacious.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Not too dark.
    Renee

• Amy1204
    12 years ago

I think it is very impressive. I love the vaulted ceiling. The SS really pops with the darker colors. I'm interested to see how the granite looks installed.

• susie123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think raising the ceiling is the best thing I did for this kitchen and it didn't cost too much.

Thank you so much for your comments. I feel relieved that you don't think it looks too bad. I'm brousing through the forum and seeing all these beautiful kitchen pictures. I'm wishing I would have gone with white cabinets. I was afraid to go with white a year ago when I started this and now I just read an article that said Cherry is going out. I find myself second guessing myself on everything and it's making me crazy. :-(

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Wow.
    I think your kitchen is quite elegant.
    Warm, too.

Lovely

• okpokesfan
    12 years ago

Everything is eventually on the way out so go with what you love! I think your kitchen is beautiful and not too dark at all.

We remodeled 3 years ago and I put in (gasp!) oak cabinets. They are stained a deep auburn brown. I still love them!

I know what you mean about second guessing yourself though. I hate that part!! :^)

• poohpup
    12 years ago

I think your floor and kitchen looks gorgeous! Very warm and elegant. Can't wait to see the granite! And definitely not too dark. :)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

It's so easy to second guess yourself, especially around here when someone posts a beautiful new kitchen everyday.

When your granite is in, post some bigger pics so we can reassure you again. ;)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

What Badger said. And Christine and fori and probably just about everyone else: classy. Well, they said it classier ;)

It's very sophisticated-looking; I'm impressed. No offense intended, but this is a nice contrast with the old.

I don't see this as a mistake, but as fatigue.

Course, I, too, put in wood (bamboo, actually) floors and I'm not too happy with that choice as well. But I made bigger mistakes. ;)

It really looks just lovely. The aggravation will soon pass and you will be left with the beauty all around: you'll see it then! Good job.

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

Very lovely and stately.
    I agree will others, the granite, paint, backsplash and window treatments will counterbalance any viusual misgivings you are having right now. It will all come together!

• catlover5
    12 years ago

Susie123, your kitchen is so lovely and warm just as the others said. Post more pics pls! I think an area rug will do wonders and I love the look of the staggered cabs. Please don't beat yourself up about not getting white cabs . . . it's a totally different look. I am deciding today myself between sage green painted cabs or dove white. While neither would be wrong, they are just different from each other. I LOVE the warmth of wood colored cabs but I have a small cottage type house and a tiny kitchen and felt that they would be out of place in my style home. Yours looks very beautiful and while tastes of everyone vary greatly, there is really no wrong and right! Go with what you love. Good luck.

• susie123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You have all made me feel so much better. I can't thank you enough.

I bought this house a year and half ago and it needed to be completely gutted. I don't know what I was thinking. I boil it down to the fact that I was watching too much HGTV at the time and I thought it would be fun. It all happened so fast too. I called the real estate agent and told her I was thinking about selling my townhouse and buying a house. She came over and told me to do a couple of things to sell it which I did. Before I was even finished she told me she had a couple that was interested. They came over and bought it that day. I was in shock. I know I couldn't have asked for more but I didn't think it was going to go like that. The story just gets better from there with some wrong contractors and mishaps but I don't want to right a novel here. :-)

Here's a picture of the window in the kitchen eating area. This had some doing in my buying the house. I could picture myself sitting at the table with my morning coffee and looking at my garden. I'll post more pics after I get the granite. Thank you all again!

• rosie
    12 years ago

I'd buy for that window and its view of the garden, too. What a nice place to greet the morning. I also really love way you opened up the ceiling. Please post pix when you finish decorating too.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

The floor is beautiful and the cabinets look great with it. I'd bring in some of those lovely greens, from the garden/backyard and I think yellow would look good, too.

My advice is to put more color in the kitchen...and maybe do a light/cream backsplash. Have you already purchased the granite? Not that it won't look wonderful in the kitchen, but I'd definitely try to find a light countertop, to balance out all that wood. Kind of like sun steaming through the trees, if that makes any sense.

I'd bring in the color on the chair cushions, accents, maybe some valances...just don't put too much more brown and have you thought about painting the dining room furniture? (I know...gasp from many here LOL) but I'm just trying to throw ideas out there. You'll know which ones are right for your home and which ones won't work in the space. I'd also bring in a big bouquet of cut flowers, on that table! :)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Oh Susie - look at how those windows are all reflecting the hanging lamps in quadruplicate -- it's wonderful! I don't know when I've seen such a charming picture. That hanging lamp is wonderful.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Seeing that brick outside the window--which will always be a part of the view from the adjacent room when looking into the kitchen--I suggest finding more of the same brick for the backsplash or to use somewhere on the interior--for continuity.

I'd put a window treatment on the sink window so that you don't focus on the view of the roofs. Additionally, I suggest that something be put into the height or peak of the wall--a wall art piece? a shelf with an object d'art on it? An interesting paint effect--stenciled words perhaps? Take advantage of that grand space up there!

I wouldn't do much of a backsplash if any at all, unless it were brick. Paint in a consistent interesting color throughout the kitchen area would unite the kitchen within the open architecture of the larger space. The more variables you introduce, the less united the space will seem.

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

Your floors are gorgeous, a nice warm honey color!!!

• susie123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ooops...I meant to type write a novel. All of these decisions are messing me up. :-)

Here's a picture of the granite but it really doesn't do it justice. It has specs of different colors one of which is the color of the cabinet. I also fell in love with a green granite but I was afraid it would be bad for resale value if I ever wanted to sell the place. I included a pic of some tiles that I was looking at but I think I'm going to hold off on that until I get the counter in. I love those glass tiles though.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Missy Benton
    12 years ago

I think it's all very pretty and classic. I like the warmth and coziness. A rug in the kitchen or under the table would help break up all of the wood and add some interest. Enjoy your new kitchen because it's beautiful!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

The granite is perfect! I actually like the combination of light tiles, behind your sample tile. They would look beautiful with the granite, but not compete. Just an idea :)

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I was expecting a problem, I even enlarged the picture
    to search for (what is wrong this picture)
    It is PERFECT.
    Truly a magnificent space that evokes elegance and grace.
    You may have felt rushed but you made beautiful choices.
    ~boxer

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

Love the granite and the tiles. They will look wonderful!
    Can't wait to see it all finished!

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

You are definitely going in the right direction with the lighter granite and BS to contrast with the cabs and floors...it's going to be beautiful!

• carybk
    12 years ago

Gorgeous. Sorry you are so stressed-- we all go through that.

• User
    12 years ago

OK ... you appear to love wood, especially DARK wood. It's nice!

1 - I like the granite and it's a calm flecked one so you can go wild with the backsplash if you want without the "warring divas" problem.

2 - The square mosaic is very interesting, the stone behind it definitely less so. What would a solid backsplash of the mosaic do? Not as an accent, but as the whole area?

3 - use a rug (get a washable one, or a floorcloth) under the table to define the dining area and break up the wood a bit. Pick one with colors that exist in the rest of the house.

4 - Paint walls asoft green, or blue (whatever blends well in your house) and pick up the colors in the rug under the table and a few accessories in the kitchen.

Sit back and have a glass of your favorite beverage ... call it done!

• christine40
    12 years ago

I just put in the sonoma dry creek blend mosaic....love it! I used the tweed 2x2s as accents! Have gotten so many compliments on it! Here are some pics!

• beth
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful, elegant. You have excellent taste and it shows. Kitchen Planning Fatigue, yep - makes each decision seem like the wrong one, and gets mulled over a thousand times, doesn't it?

Your floors are great, and I think you'll love them. Can't wait to see more pictures after granite.

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

It looks rich and beautiful. Wait on a final choice for the BS until the counters are in. I find that the stone looks even better when it is horizontal and that might influence your choice. The same with the tile. When I put the sample on the counter, I loved it. When I put a 12x12 bit up vertically, it was awful.
    Take your time and relax. I know it is easy to say and hard to do.
    Laura

• splitrock
    12 years ago

I know how easy it is to doubt yourself, but don't. Looking at your space with fresh eyes, it appears to me that your choices have been perfect. A house does have better flow with a consistent floor color. The high ceiling, lovely, updated lighting, great furniture and absolutely awesome window all go with your pretty cabinets and a granite that ties it all together. I really love it!
    I also agree with sixtyohno about the back splash and the advice to relax and enjoy the process. You're doing great!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21