SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

Plants you didn't think could go in ponds....

daniellalell
15 years ago

OK so I am wondering what plants have tried which were successful or not in your ponds or bogs?

I threw some Tradescantia 'zebrina' (wandering jew) into my streambed, and it is thriving with the water cress, started out with a tiny 3" cutting, Figured you can root it in water, so why not? Of course now the watercress is covering half of the zebrina, but it's happy.

{{gwi:220660}}

Also discovered quite by accident that Duranta and Morning GLory tree can be used as marginals, as long as the base of the plant, or crown, is above the water. So far so good for me anyway..been since April with those 2..they were from seed sown indoors over the winter and are still young.

Also had read about how 'Caesar's Brother' Iris can be used as a bog plant. Read how people said they heard it could do well potted as a marginal, but hadn't read anyone who actually tried, so I did..Bareroot in the pond..it likes it. Hopefully will bloom for me next year. Had the darn things 4 yrs in the ground..not one stinkin bloom! Hopin this will do the trick.

As soon as I get my bigger pond set up I plan on putting my calla lilies, my peace lilies & a few other things in as marginals to see what happens. Maybe even bareroot..who knows.

So I am wondering by trial and error, or just by experimenting, what have you found to work in the pond/stream/bog that you didn't think could?

Or what have you found that definately didn't work?

I would love to hear what everyone has to say :)

Daniella

Comments (14)