SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsweenc

Painting dilemma - X post (Pics)

jsweenc
14 years ago

Started in the decorating forum with this, but lukkiirish suggested posting here too. I just noticed this today because we are just now starting to pick paint colors. We wanted a direct path from the garage to the house so created this doorway. Structurally it is fine but it didn't occur to me how awkward it would be from a paint/trim perspective.

{{gwi:1417602}}

{{gwi:1417604}}

{{gwi:1417606}}

{{gwi:1417608}}

My question is, how would you trim it out and paint around it? To the right is kitchen/breakfast, with 5" from beam to edge of doorway. I am looking at gray-toned light blues or bluish greens (like BM Palladian Blue) for the kitchen. To the left is LR. I'm not sure whether I want contrasting or two tones of the same color for the two rooms. I can't envision putting two different colors over the doorway on either side of the beam (though DH thinks it would be OK). Should we just extend the trim to the ceiling above the door (14")? Or extend it on the right side of the doorway and only paint over the left side, or use the LR color on the right and somehow create a boundary at which to switch to the kitchen paint? Or something else?

I was planning to use trim similar to this. Not sure yet what I will do with crown, but I want to keep it simple like the door trim.

After we finish our kitchen we will add on to the front of the LR, probably ~8' all the way across, with mostly windows on the front (lake view). The FP will likely stay where it is. We will have to build out the wall to hold the mantel, but may leave the wall above the mantel recessed, possibly with shelves. If so, that will create a floor-to-ceiling boundary, but would be ~7' into the LR. I can't see bringing the kitchen color that far into the LR.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals