SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Elder Law Attorneys

alisande
13 years ago

Have you ever used one?

I consulted with an elder law attorney when my DH was sick. The first consultation was free, and then he drew up a plan and charged me a flat fee to implement it. I forget the amount of the fee, but it was something like $2,000 or $3,000. He has since retired.

Our state laws have changed, and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to talk to someone in the field again about doing what I can to preserve my assets. The only person I found to recommend someone was an accountant I know. She gave me a name, but said she had no experience with him. I called and spoke to him personally. The man lacks charm (which might be a good thing!). He said he charges $350 per hour for the initial visit, and couldn't give me an estimate of what his fee would be after that.

A lawyer from an elder law firm in the area conducts seminars on asset preservation. I'm a little turned off by the "sales pitch" aspect of these events, but maybe I shouldn't be. I'm thinking of attending one, but doubt it will give me any reliable insight into the firm and whether or not one of its staff is the right person to talk to.

I hope the KT will have experiences to share.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz