SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momcat2000_gw

Splitting Estate

momcat2000
16 years ago

My SIL father remarried after being widowed. They were both in their 70's and he wouldn't let her drop a dime of her own money after they were married.

They have been married 10 years now but for the last 7 years she has been ill, so he has paid for 24 hour home nursing for his wife so they can continue to live in the new condo she just had to have.

My SIL says that he has spent most of his savings on this home care and worries if there will be funds to take care of him if need be.

SIL has visited them twice a week for seems like forever, doing groceries, doctor runs, taxes, paperwork, basically being their contact to whatever they needed in the outside world.

But, she has now gone into nursing homes and he into assisted living 200 miles away from each other. She has dementia so she doesn't even know her husband.

Her son hasn't lifted a finger or a dime in all the years of their marriage, lives about 300 miles away and never visited.

He has placed his mother in a nursing home 150 miles from where he lives, I don't know why and I wonder who is paying for that.

Now it is time to empty the condo and put it up for sale, my SIL is executor of their estate. Her relatives didn't waste any time traveling down to get her stuff out of the condo, so SIL is left with disposing of the remaining items, new carpeting, painting and get it ready to sell (I'm helping her because she is mind boggled with all this)

Now her relatives are waiting for the check for their half of the estate.

Is ther anyway SIL can work something out where her father can hang on to more of his estate, like SIL charging a large amount for being executor, get a real estate friend to charge more then reimburse her father under the table.

SIL just doesn't want her father to not be able to pay his health care bills and to live a comfortable life.

Comments (33)