SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Best flooring option for occasionally wet basement floor

Sueb20
14 years ago

We added onto our basement (under a kitchen addition) 3-4 years ago. We had had water issues in our existing basement previously, had a french drain installed, and that fixed the problem. Knowing we had drainage issues, an effort was made to alleviate that when the new part of the basement was added (which is one step down from the original room). We have two sump pumps now, etc. Anyway, we still have a problem about once a year because of the way our yard sits down from the neighbors' -- all their water runs from their yard into our yard, and every so often it's too much for our pump. Like over this past weekend when Boston got 10" of rain! Now our carpet is soaked once again. We think we have a solution to the water running -- we're going to have some kind of berm installed at the edge of the yard -- but I don't trust that anything will be 100% foolproof! Since our carpet has now been soaked 3 times (and dried out), we are thinking that carpet may not be the best option for that floor. (I know, you're thinking: Duh.) I'm wondering about epoxy coating the bare (cement) floor, topped w/ an area rug? But figured I'd ask for other suggestions. DH was thinking maybe ceramic tile, but that's a lot of tile. The room is about 18' x 25' or so. Any suggestions?

Comments (22)