SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valerie_iosue

Best flooring option for open concept ranch

Valerie Iosue
5 years ago
I am looking for a recommendation on the best flooring option for an open concept Ranch. Looking for wood or wood look. It will be in the entry way, kitchen, dining, living and hallways. I have done a ton of research, and I am still so torn. We have to cover about 1,500 sq ft.
Lifestyle: I have a toddler. I also have a small 17 lb dog, too small to sway my flooring choice. I have never left standing water on my floor ever and we don’t splash around in the main living areas. I am clumsy in the kitchen though and always seem to be dropping things.
We have big windows in the back of the family room, so I want to make sure the sun won’t fade the floor.
Looking for longevity and a beautiful real wood look.

Things I’ve looked at:

1. Engineered wood - speaks for itself. Beautiful of course, but concerned about scratches and dents in kitchen. Would go with a handscraped option, so I feel like imperfections would be concealed.

2. Luxury Vinyl Plank - fake look & feel to me, but it’s all the rave and everyone’s pointing me in this direction. Don’t like the beveled edge styles (fake plastic look and a place for crumbs to hide).

3. Pergo Timbercraft + WetProtect at Lowe’s or “Laminte for Life, Titanium” brand at Carpet One- looks so realistic to wood. Super impressive. It’s Laminate though. Laminate is making a come back, but still makes me wonder if it’s the best course.

4. Smartcore Naturals at Lowe’s- I think this is brand new. I can’t find any reviews or info on this. I believe the vendor is Shaw. This is an engineered wood veneer top with a vinyl (CoreTec technology) core/bottom. It seems like the best of both worlds. It’s waterproof, maybe just to every day spills. I am intrigued, but skeptical.

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)