SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellacama

Any ideas for this open concept kitchen floor problem??

ellacama
4 years ago

we bought this house about a month ago and I was bothered by the uneven floor. The original kitchen floors were probably linoleum, and when the kitchen was opened up and remodelled, they placed wood floors on top of the old floor. So, they are about 1/2" higher than the original hardwoods, but they did not put the wood floor underneath the kitchen island. We now plan on replacing this kitchen island with one with a level counter height, and am weighing my options on what to do with the flooring.
To make the the wood floors level, we would need to cut out a layer of the subfloor from around the existing kitchen cabinets and replace the flooring, which seems like an expensive option. I'm not sure it is worth it.
I also considered making the island quite a bit bigger so it comes right up to where the original floors are. It seems like it would be pretty narrow between the island and the wall, where the hallway begins though.
Finally, I thought we could just get a slightly bigger island, cut the wood floor around it and install it on top of the subfloor.
Any other ideas? What do you guys think would be best? I had a contractor over today and he was horrified by this flooring. I would appreciate any ideas or advice!

Comments (8)