SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

sick kitten

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

There is a young cat at the shelter that I volunteer at that is seriously ill, I believe. He has been there since October and I never even noticed him until a few weeks ago. He is shy and keeps to himself. He doesn't seem afraid of other cats or people- he just doesn't care to seek anyone out. I found him sleeping in a box one day and mistakenly thought he was a young kitten (I thought he was about 4 months old and he's actually 8 months old). He is small for his age. He is very friendly though. If you pay attention to him he just purrs and purrs and wants to snuggle with you. When I was there a week ago he was climbing around and a few days ago when I was there he was sleeping so I didn't bother him. When I arrived yesterday I thought he'd been adopted because I couldn't find him.

It turns out he'd been moved to a cage where they could keep an eye on him. I was told he's not eating and is very lethargic. I went to see him (he's not in the medical ward but on the floor for adoption) and he was sitting in his cage. I fed him some treats and he wolfed those down. He is very skinny. You can feel his ribs. The whites of his eyes would show at times and he seemed lethargic and weak. They had been feeding him canned food (the other cats get dry food) and said he'd been eating it. But when I fed him he only ate a few bites and wasn't interested. He has a little bit of a cold and his nose is stuffed up so that could be one reason he's not eating. They have him on antibiotics but do not know what is wrong with him.

I wanted to adopt him just so I could rush him to MY vet (who would probably put him on IV fluids) but was told I'd have to wait a few days because they might have to give him iv fluids since he wasnt doing well. He has been tested for feline luekemia and is negative. Could he have FIP? I'm thinking maybe he just wasnt eating enough for a long time and no one noticed because he was in a room with so many other cats and he's not social so you dont' see him often.

I took him out of his cage and held him last night and he loved that. He just purred and purred. He seemed weak and somewhat out of it though. Any time you'd pet him he'd start purring and rub his face all over you. I'm worried that he's going to die because they aren't giving him enough medical attention. I'm not saying they are neglecting him (not at all) as they have had the vet check him out and are monitoring what he eats and also giving him special food. But I feel he needs more intensive care. He needs IV fluids or to be force fed or at least fed tempting foods so he will eat more than he is currently consuming. I also think he is too weak to get up to his food dish (its on a ledge he has to jump up onto and I haven't even seen him stand up)

However, I dont want to adopt him and nurse him back to health if he has something that is contagious to my other cats. Any guesses on what is wrong with him? What should I do?

Comments (24)