SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

What is feline caronavirus?

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

I've read some stuff online and it just makes me worry even more because everything I've read says if a cat tests positive for caronavirus it can develop into FIP which can be deadly and it is contagious to other cats. I thought she had been vacinated for FIP when she was only a few months old but I could be wrong. The vet that told me this showed up in her lab results was very nonchalant and not at all concerned. She said that caronavirus is very common in cats and "almost every cat will test positive" that it is just like the common cold virus in people (that everyone would have some of that virus in their system whether it affects them or not). She said that her labs were "virtually negative" and that the positive for this virus was no big deal. She did not even tell me the name of the virus until I specifically asked!! She said the only thing it causes is mild diarrhea for a few days. She also said that antibioitics should have killed it (if it is truly a virus antibiotics wouldn't have any effect. Antibiotics only rid the body of bacteria not viruses.) So I am very confused.

Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks!

Comments (4)