SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiara00

My kitten is sick possible FIP, opinions needed please!

tiara00
14 years ago

My 3 month old Persian started acting weird about three days ago. I noticed later in the evening because my daughter was sick that day and I was tending to her. Bella (my kitten) was acting weak and breathing very rapidly, not eating but drinking a little. The vet wasn't open so I stayed up all night to watch her and took her to the emergency vet as soon as it opened up. The vet took a chest xray and seen fluid on her lungs. She said it was most likly FIP and recommended it was best for me to put her down bc of the condition she was in. I refused and she gave her a chest tap. They got about 70 mils of fluid off of her lungs and sent it to the lab as well as blood work for testing. She put her on an antibiotic for her fever and gave her lasics for the fluid. The vet checked her yesterday and said to give her chicken broth and see if she would eat food. She wouldn't touch the food but she did lap the chicken broth and she is lapping water also. Today she said there seemed to be less fluid and Bella has a bit more energy she is walking to the litter box and she is walking to her water but other than that mostly laying around. I also got some test results back. This is why I feel its not FIP. I have done a ton of research day and night and from everything I've seen the fluid is mostly either a milky white or light to straw yellow, and frothy if you shake it. Her fluid was a peachy pink/orange which I know could be mixed with blood, but the vet said there would have to be a lot of blood and she didn't really bleed. She showed me the fluid and I asked her to shake it. It wasn't frothy nor was it milky it was a clear vial of peachy pink fluid. I also got some of her test results back today. Her Protein was normal it is 6.2, her Albumin is normal which is 2.4, and her golbulin is normal which is 3.8. From everything I've read, considering the condition she is in now which is still considered poor even though she is doing MUCH better, at least one of those should be high for it to be FIP. She did test positive for FIP but most cats do without it ever flaring up. There were some things that were high that weren't suppose to be though. Her segs is lower than her bands and the vet said that isn't good the segs is suppose to be higher. Her bands are 49 and her segs are 31. Not sure what that means? Also her bilirubin is high. Her total is 3.82, direct is 2.05 and indirect is 1.77. Her glucose is high too, 164.0. I'm not sure what all this means yet I haven't looked it all up yet but I would love some suggestions/opinions. She is high and low on other things as well but I just put the key things for the FIP into this post if you need anymore information for ideas I'll be happy to post it.

Comments (20)