SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

My kitten killed a baby bird!

junkyardgirl
16 years ago

I was out cutting the grass, and I was looking for the kitten, who was outside, or so I thought. I saw him looking at me through the sliding glass door, so I went inside. There were baby bird parts and feathers everywhere in the dining room! He evidently killed his first bird, a baby mockingbird. Now I know I can't let him out until all the baby birds outside have learned to fly to get away from him, which will be this summer, probably. Now that he's made a kill, he'll keep on killing them.

I was crying as I cleaned it up. I raise birds, and my other cats were raised with them, so they would never hurt a bird. I guess this one is different. I don't like to hit animals, but I was so upset, I pulled him over there and spanked his bottom one good time. He knows I'm angry at him, and he probably doesn't understand why.

I've only had one other cat who actually killed birds, but he never brought them inside. I used to have a cat who would drag dead squirrels in through the kitty door, and once brought what she thought was a dead garter snake. It wasn't dead. Thank heavens it wasn't a poisonous snake!

Took us over an hour to find it, trap it, and get it back outside.

Oh well, such is life with cats, I guess. It's just been so long since I had one that would actually harm another animal. It was a shock.

Comments (18)