SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

cat losing weight

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

I have four cats so I really don't have a way of keeping track of how much each one eats. Recently I started feeding them all Natural Balance limited ingredient canned food (only comes in two flavors). They also get dry food. I used to feed them the cheap Fancy Feast or Meow Mix until my youngest had diarhea for a month and we changed her food to see if that would help. However, her diarhea cleared up before the change in food but I've continued to feed it to them since it is a better quality of food. My 2nd youngest (4 yrs old) is a very little cat. She is petite and my kitten is bigger than her. (Kitten is 9 lbs and probably still growing, considering the size of her paws!) My 4 yr old girl has a very slight build, tiny face, etc. The last time she was at the vet's (about two months ago) she weighed exactly 9 lbs.

When I first found my kitten in july, my four year old girl started eating the kitten's food (fancy feast) and gained weight and was around 10 lbs. Now she plays more and doesn't eat as much because she isn't crazy about the Natural Balance food. So she has started to lose weight. Last night I weighed her and she weighs 8.6 lbs. I should point out that she is very jumpy and skittish and not one to lay around and sleep all day (as my 5 yr old female and 6 yr old male do). However she looks thin to me. How much weight is too much to lose too quickly for a cat?

Should I be concerned? She is playing as she normally does and does not seem to have anything bothering her.

Comments (4)