SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Hyperthyroid Cat: Needs Second I-131!

Rudebekia
15 years ago

Hi, I also posted this in the "Cat Losing Weight" thread but I wanted to start a new post to see if anyone out there might have some help to offer me. My 6 year old cat was treated with radiation (I-131) for hyperthyroidism less than two years ago. He is now going on 8, and I found out today it has returned. I'm heartbroken and confused. Evidently out of the 5000 or more cats the radiologist-vet in my area has treated, only 3 have been so young as my Basil when they became hyperthyroid and only 11 have needed the treatment twice. Does anyone out there have any experience or know anything about a second radiation treatment? I have done extensive internet searches and posted on the yahoo feline-T group but I can't find any information. My questions are 1) can someone tell me in layman's terms why the hyper-T returns after I-131 in such a statistically low percentage of cats and what is occurring when it does return? 2) why would such a young cat have this disease, statistically beating the odds? 3) will a second I-131 do any good or will it return again? Am I just prolonging the inevitable in such a young cat (even if I opt for a second treatment there's no way I could do a third) 3) what will two doses of radiation do to the cat's body otherwise? Can anyone direct me to anything scientific on the internet that can help me understand these issues? Thanks.

Comments (8)