SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen2006_gw

Methimazole for hyperthyroid - my cat has had a bad reaction!

jen2006
13 years ago

I am really worried about my 13 year old cat. She has been diagnosed with hyperthyroid, and high blood pressure. The vet put her on methimazole. We started out with a lower dose, and all was well, she gained some weight and seemed to get some of her pep back. But, after a few weeks, she became one of the very small percentage of cats that will self mutilate on this medication. She began scratching constantly at her face and ears and head. Her eyes were all puffy, her ears full of scratches, blood everywhere...

So, the vet stopped the meds, gave her treatment for the irritation and inflammation, and when she was back to normal, we decided to try the meds again, only at very small doses, to be very very slowly increased. But, after a few weeks, even on a very low dose, she started scratching at her head and face and ears again.

I just don't think this med is going to work for her, and I am really worried, the only other option is I think surgery, but she is so thin, and the vet won't even do a dental on her till she gains some weight. She was never a big cat, even at her full weight she has always been trim and light. So, once she started losing weight due to thyroid issues, it didn't take long for her to get down to 7 lbs. I am so worried about her heart and other organs, I hear they can suffer under the effects of the disease she has.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with methimazole, and what they have done about it...or if anyone has any tips on how I can get some weight on the cat, or does the hyperthyroid make that impossible? I will be taking her back to the vet next week, but was hoping for some ideas and other experiences that maybe I could discuss with the vet.

Thanks!

Comments (48)