SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

Got my first real layout, looking for input!

homebuyer23
11 years ago

Got our first real layout and quote from a KD today. I'm in total sticker shock at the quote :-(
But its very exciting to see an actual possibility for our space on paper.

Im attaching our current 1st floor layout so you can see how it relates to rest of house. We have other major changes planned hopefully...The current family room will be likely converted to a dining/hearth/great room, opened up to the formal LR, which will be converted to our family/great room.

So, if you can let me know what you think? My biggest concern is the aisle width behind the long sink/cooktop run & the island. I've stressed with the KD, due to reading on here so much, that Im nervous I don't have enough space for an island, she insists we do. But then she gives me an aisle that's basically 30" counter to counter! Im pretty sure I cant live with that, she said we can reduce the width of the island and theres a little room to move it back, I think theres almost 5' on the other side, though that is a main traffic path.

If I can get the aisle to the 36" minimum recommended on the one side, do you otherwise think this is a functional layout?

We are a family of 5, 3 young kids, I'm sahm, main cook, but dh does help on weekends and holidays, and kids will hopefully someday be helping in kitchen.

I really thought I was going to have to go with a wide u design...does this layout confirm it or give me good reason to hope a large functional island with some seating could be realistic?

Comments (22)