SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tybee508

Looking for input on Kitchen layout and support column

tybee508
5 years ago
We are in the final stages of designing our kitchen, which is currently L-shaped. Something that has always bothered me is that the island is not centered with the range. My husband and I have always been drawn to symmetry. Originally we asked for an 8 foot island, since we have 3 kids and extra kids always end up at the house to eat. I’m okay with a couple of barstools on the side and a few in the front of the island. If I could have my cake and eat it too, I would have an island that can accommodate 4-5 people and have it centered with the range. However, I realize the island will more than likely need to be brought in a couple of feet. The latest struggle is deciding what to do with a must-have support column. We’ve talked about implementing the support column by framing in the kitchen, either with brick or shaker style columns and headers. Lastly, the window area above the sink is where I definitely want windows placed as it will look out into the backyard, looking at sunsets. I would love any ideas thrown my way. I’m up for anything at this point. Thank you so much! I’m posting our current drawing which does not show the kitchen being shrunk in 12” to line the support column up with the refrigerator, a microwave drawer in the island, a smaller pantry at around 37”, and bigger windows over the sink. I’ll also post a couple of other ideas we have floated around to deal with the support column.

Comments (7)