SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toxdocar

My first FLF Tree. Input on the best course for its future

ToxDocAR
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Wow, this should be called the Fiddle Leaf Fig forum! I just got my first tree yesterday. I have, what I think is, a good spot for it to thrive. It is a West/SW facing entryway with lots of windows from the staircase. I guess things seem a bit crowded now visually, but I hope once it is taller in a few years, it will look more balanced with the table... I'll probably move it to the other side away from the staircase. Plastic bucket is temporary. :)

Anyways, it seems this tree has 2 main branches off of the trunk. I want to encourage this tree to be more fuller, bushier on top, and not shoot out long, unruly branches. I am interested in "notching" the tree.

Here are a few pics.

Hers is a more up close picture of the trunk and branch situation. The center trunk was cut early it seems, I guess to force the two main side branches. If you look, it appears there are 2 small branches forming below the two main ones. Will these continue to grow? Should I notch the bark above them to force them to grow more?

Also for fiddle leafs, are there buds on the main trunk or branches to notch above to encourage branch development? I can't seem to find any.

It is in a 14" pot now. That seems quite big to me, but I really don't know much about big houseplants. I have only grown orchids. I was thinking I should wait until spring to start fertilizing with Foliage Pro?

I removed the wood stake that is was tied to to encourage the trunk to get stronger. I hope that was the right thing to do.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz