SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Can a dog & cat ever be OK together, if they are not at first?

freezetag
15 years ago

We have a 5 year old male cat, and an 8 month old puppy. Our cat will stand his ground with the puppy, and will strike at her, but he is declawed (don't flame me, would NEVER do that again!), so the puppy does not have the proper respect for a cat that she should. She acts as if she wants to play, but our cat won't let her get very close to him, and eventually runs away or jumps up someplace high.

Is it possible for them to ever coexist peacefully? Our cat generally naps on my bed during the day, where he can look out the window. The puppy is not yet allowed upstairs (where the bedrooms are) so it isn't a problem yet, but I am hopeful that the day is coming when we can take down the baby gates and allow the puppy to roam the house. And then I am not sure where the cat could go to relax, unless eventually the pup learns to leave him alone. We are trying to train her to stop chasing him, but it's a hard thing - she wants to chase anything that runs. The kids can stop her with a "sit" or "off" command, but if she does not respect the cat now, will she ever?

Comments (16)