SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcfadden_gw

HELP ... Questionable results with Cabinet Coat on Bookshelf

kmcfadden
13 years ago

I just built a bookshelf for my kitchen (plywood box with poplar face trim and pine moldings). Not feeling great about the results so far after primer and one coat of Cabinet Coat. Here's what I've done: Thursday I sanded a bit -- mostly where I had used woodfiller and areas where I needed to even out the surface between the plywood and the face moldings. I did not fully sand all the surfaces of the plywood. After sanding I vacuumed the dust and used tack cloth. Friday I primed the bare wood with BM Acrylic All Purpose Primer. I used a foam roller on the inside vertical backs/sides/ceiling of each compartment of the bookcase, and used a brush on the faceframes, inside flat surfaces, the crown molding/base molding. I let primer dry over night. Yesterday (Saturday) I sanded the raised grain with 180 paper, vacuumed up dust and used tack cloth. Then I applied Cabinet Coat with a 2" angled brush -- did my best to follow the instructions of keeping a wet edge and moving from unpainted to painted surface, not "over brushing". Let it dry over night -- this morning (Sunday) I was not thrilled with the first coat and wonder if I did something wrong here. I had certain areas with signifcant brush marks (kind of thick) and really uneven coverage with variation in the sheen. The areas that appeared to have the best results were the moldings (crown and 5 1/4 base) that were purchased pre-primed. I wonder if I didn't prime properly or enough? I did some sanding today to try to even things out (maybe not a wise thing to do?). Some of the areas that I lightly sanded with 180 grit felt much smoother after a gentle sanding and seem like a fresh coat might go on nicely. Other areas (especially near the seams (insides of the bookcase at the junctions between the horizontal and vertical surfaces) felt a bit sticky as I sanded ... so I kept sanding, until it felt smooth ... in some cases re-exposing some of the wood surface. Needless to say, I am 99% certain I have done something wrong here. I'd love to hear from those of you with experience with Cabinet Coat, and experience painting a bookcase! I found it very hard to paint the 5 interior surfaces (ceiling, back, 2 sides and flat surface) without having some of it begin to dry on me, esp near where the different planes intersected. I'd love to know a fool proof method --- maybe painting one interior surface, letting it fully dry, then paint the next??? Anyway, I'd love advice on how to move forward!

Comments (4)