SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lina_2006

95% done - now DH hates side bookshelf :)

lina_2006
13 years ago

Many years in the planning and almost done now - range and water working, NOW my DH wants a modification!

We have a 18" space between range and fridge enclosure (I even had the GC build me a recess for the full-depth fridge). The fridge cabinet has a built-in shelf with closed cabinet on the side that measures 10" overall depth. I did this (and showed him layout plans) so that the fridge is not directly next to the garage door.

After trying it out over the weekend, he now wants to reclaim those 10" back between range and fridge.

He claims it is only usable as a landing spot for items from the fridge. He wants a regular 3/4" fridge enclosure and no built-in shelving.

It is all one modular custom-made unit and the cabinet maker came out to take a look and says it can be done, but the labor to re-use it would be more than building a new fridge enclosure and one base 9" pull-out and 9" wall cabinet. He thinks we could even make it up to 11" wide since there will be no door openings on the side anymore. Also, the counter-top would require a seam, but we have Caesarstone and the current seams are not too noticeable, plus we have the left-over piece from the cooktop cut out.

Is it worth it? WWYD? What is a 9" wide wall cabinet useful for? Does anyone have a 8" base filler pull-out? (Cabinet maker highly suggests that, but it would be $225 more).

I am so frustrated now, especially since everything else has gone so smoothly thanks to the many hours on this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (21)