SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bhairavii

Can I use my china cabinet as bookshelf near staircase?

Bhairavi Krishnan
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I recently bought a house and trying to fit my existing furniture here. I know designers will say that you have to give up the furniture you had at your old place and I did give up a lot of it, but I brought a few of the pieces that are very dear to me.

So here comes my design dilemma. At my previous house, I had a formal dining room - I had a big china cabinet in the dining area. I really love that cabinet and ended up bringing it. The problem is, my current house does not have a formal dining space. It's a modern, open plan - there is a big island which serves as the informal dining area and the dining space is right next to it. Attached pics of the house - this is not my decor and are staged pictures the previous owner had to sell the house.

I tried placing the cabinet in the dining area, but it's hard to move around. We do have a wet bar area in the current house and I moved my glasses there. I also attached pictures of my cabinet. The wine rack in the cabinet can be removed - I have placed that in the wet bar area.

I am now thinking of using the cabinet as a book case but not sure where to place it. Can I place it in the staircase area? I tried looking for staircase/bookshelf inspiration but I can only see pictures of step bookcases. Will my cabinet look odd there? I have also attached pictures of my loft area - will this look better over there? I do have a big computer desk in the loft area - so if I have to place the china cabinet there, I would need to move the desk to the guest bedroom which I am not a fan of.

The 3rd option is to place it in the formal living room. I have attached pictures of that as well (the room with the TV). I was planning to place it next to the window - in the pictures, there is a console table there currently. We get a lot of light from that window and I worry that this cabinet will block it.

Please help. My husband is saying that it is time to give up the server, but I love this piece and not ready to part with it.

Comments (19)