SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommabird_gw

My cat passed the line between prime of life and old...

15 years ago

Somewhere in the past month or two, my bigger cat, Taz, crossed the line from a big, muscular cat in the prime of his life, with a thick shiny coat and not an once of fat on him. I just noticed last week he's getting chubby, his fur is not as shiny (but still thick and soft), and he's sleeping a lot more. I took him to the vet for a checkup. Vet confirmed he's healthy, just getting on in years. He's 9.

I'm sad to see it. He has been a prime specimin of cat - he's a large framed orange tabby with orange eyes, very companionable, very sweet. He was just the epitome of healthy, young cat - so active, so muscular, his coat was unbelieveably thick and soft. He will continue to be my companion hopefully for another 9 or more years, but he's so much more low-key now. It happened so slowly I can't put a date to the passage. In the summer he was still young - at Christmas he seemed old.

I just wanted to share his crossing this threshold with those that love animals like I do. I morn the kitten he was and the passing of his youth - but I love him as much as ever.

Now our Naughty Kitten gets on his nerves more than ever. NK is 7 and Taz has never forgive me for bringing him home when NK was 4 or 5 weeks old (he has been abondoned).

Comments (9)