SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Old dogs and meds! Where to draw the line?

jterrilynn
11 years ago

I guess I'm writing this for reassurance? For those of you with a very old dog when do you decide enough if enough and let nature take it's course as far as drawing the line on medical treatments and medications? I have an old retriever, I'm not sure of her exact age but she was an adult dog when we got her eleven years ago from the Pet Mobile so she's around 13 to 15 years old. We were told at the time that she had been badly abused by her owner. Las's back-end was shaved from some operations to help rebuild her rear-end when we got her but was pretty much healed up when we took her home. She has never been able to walk far but has had a very good life with us. Over the years the back-end became arthritic as well as her front legs. We keep her on pain meds and meds for her joints. Now she is losing her sight, has a heart murmur, problems with her thyroid and needs her teeth cleaned. The vet wants to do tests to determine what sort of heart meds she needs and wants to discuss meds for the thyroid. It's also suggested that we do a periodontal cleaning which would evolve an anesthesiologist.

I want to keep her on pain meds and joint meds to keep her end of life more comfortable. I will brush her teeth. The vet left a message for us to talk about the tests and new meds. I don't want to sound like a bad doggie mom but I don't believe in hip operations for 90 year old humans either.

What would you do? Do you think I'm horrible? I do feel bad but it just seems too much at her age.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor