SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayteadesigns

18-year-old Cat with Kidney Problems - Takes no Meds

jayteadesigns
13 years ago

Our 18-year-old cat, Mister Meister, started showing symptoms of kidney disease about a year ago (losing weight, dehydration, vomiting, crying, drinking lots of water, and urinating a lot). We took him to the vet and the vet suggested that we cut out all mammal meat and dry cat food. He said the best thing to feed him is chicken breast, and to make sure to add liquids to his food so that he stays hydrated.

We started him on the special cooked chicken breast diet last year and he is doing a lot better now. Recently, he got a taste of raw chicken breast and really liked it, so we started feeding him the raw chicken that we cut into small pieces, mixing it with a little warm water, and since then he really seems to be doing even better. One of the things that I noticed before we started feeding him the raw chicken was that he was having constipation problems and his poop was very dry. Now, his poop seems to be pretty much like it used to be (I won't go into detail) before he started exhibiting the symptoms of kidney disease.

We also feed him regular canned cat food (usually Friskies, 9 Lives, or the store's premium generic brand) every day as long as it contains fish, seafood, and/or chicken or turkey with no mammal meat in it, and of course, no dry food. (I feel that the commercial canned cat food has important nutrients that cats need so it is important to supplement the chicken diet with it.

He is not taking any medications or supplements. (I suppose in the future if he symptoms significantly worsen, we will have to start giving him medication/s of some kind, but it's really nice that so far he has improved with just a special diet.)

I just wanted to share our experience with others in the hopes that it might help someone else who has a kitty with kidney problems. Always check with your vet first.

JT

Comments (13)