SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn777_gw

Renal Failure/Other Conditions 8yr old Dog

Carolyn777
10 years ago

Hi there. My 8yr old dog named Loki has had a bad few months. (I think this is the time line that all happened)
4 months ago: large lump on left shoulder small one on right hind leg. Aspirated one fatty tumor one questionable.
3 1/2 months ago: decided to have tumor on left shoulder removed and biopsied. Only to get a call that his kidney function was high at 4.9, said something about renal failure. Tested urine had infection given antibiotics.
3 months ago: antibiotics finished too him in to be retested down to 2.7. Given Hills KD food.
A week later: crying and yelping when petting towards the back sides, concerned about kidneys. Urine test came back normal. Kidney test down to 1.8. Says possible a sprained tail??? Given meds for anti inflamatory and pain.
Another week ?: Still crying and whining X rays were taken of hips and tail, slight athritis in tail, were concerned about possible cancer. Given different meds.
Shorlty after: Back end sagging down like weakness, leaning towards the right. The problem now seemed to be in the right hind leg.
Everything starts going downhill: Needs assistance to walk dragging right foot, atrophy in entire leg. Was advised to see Neurologist they think its a Nerve Root Tumor. Neurologist agrees but would need an MRI, had concerns with the other issues. He was starting to have very loose stool, not eating his food was feeding him canned stuff, started leaking fecal matter when laying on his pillow. Neurologist suggested that there were several issues going on and that I should have another blood test down. (this was about 2 weeks ago I believe)
Took in stool sample showed bacteria put on Flagyl, drew blood...levels back up to 4.2 for his kidneys, very high white blood cell count.
Past week: barely eating, wouldn't eat at all on Saturday, vomitted 2x Sunday, 2x yesterday.
Yesterday: Decided to see a different vet who I had talked to about possible fluid treatment for the kidney issue. They gave him fluids and a shot in the IV (started with a C I believe) said this would be the telltale sign how things are progressing, said it should make him feel a little better and get his appetite back and too try food in small amounts later that night.
Wouldn't eat last night or this morning, so far no vomitting. I know sooner or later I'm going to have to make a hard decision to let him go, but when is the right time? Is there other options? Have I tried everything? I'm at a loss and heartbroken I rescued him at 5 months.

It seems to have just gone down hill so quickly. I wonder if maybe all along he has had Cancer or something and that damaged his kidneys. Can't do MRI or surgery because of the kidneys? Lots of unanswered questions not sure what to do.

Comments (9)