SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Apple Sage Cake - does that sound good to you?

caflowerluver
15 years ago

I was watching one of the cooking shows and they made this. I must admit I had a 'yuck' moment. To me sage is a more savory herb, not a sweet baking spice but I could be wrong. What do you think?

Clare

Apple Sage Cake

Ingredients

Makes one 9-by-13-inch cake

Unsalted butter, for cake pan

3 large eggs

1 1/2 cups raw sugar

3/4 cup canola oil

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

3 cups shredded Granny Smith apples, peeled

1/4 cup loosely packed sage, finely chopped

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, and oil. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt; mix until well combined. Stir in apples and sage; mix until well combined.

Pour batter into baking pan and transfer to oven. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely.

It was served this way.

Autumnal Parfait

Serves 6

2 sticks cinnamon

8 whole cloves

6 allspice berries

2 star anise

3 1/2 cups grade B maple syrup

1 cup sugar

1 (3-pound) sugar pumpkin, peeled, halved, seeds removed, and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes

2 cups apple cider

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Canola oil, for frying

6 fresh sage leaves

Apple Sage Cake, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes

Directions

Wrap 1 stick cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and star anise in a small piece of cheesecloth; using kitchen twine, tie to enclose. In a large saucepan, combine 1 cup water, 2 cups maple syrup, and sugar. Add spice packet and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Add pumpkin and cover surface of liquid with a piece of parchment paper to keep pumpkin submerged. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, barely simmering, until pumpkin is tender and easily pierced with a paring knife, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let candied pumpkin cool completely in cooking liquid.

Place apple cider in a medium saucepan. Add remaining cinnamon stick and place over medium-high heat. Cook until liquid has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 7 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and discard; stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups maple syrup, heavy cream, and salt. Transfer mixture to a heated whipped cream canister filled with three cream chargers.

Fill a small skillet 1/8-inch high with canola oil; heat over medium heat. Add sage leaves. Cook, until crisp and fragrant, about 25 seconds; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.

In each of six parfait glasses, place 2 or 3 cubes of cake in the bottom of the glasses. Top with 3 pieces of candied pumpkin, 2 more cake cubes, and 3 more pieces of candied pumpkin. Drizzle some of the pumpkin cooking liquid over the parfait, and top with cream mixture. Garnish each parfait with a fried sage leaf and serve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumnal Parfait

Comments (13)