SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitcatclub2

New Puppy and biting

kitcatclub
14 years ago

My husband and I recently purchased a beautiful pug puppy. No name yet - we're waiting to see what she's like. She's 12 weeks old and came from a pet store. Yes, I know, bad idea in general but there is a story behind it and suffice it to say, we're satisfied with our dog. One good thing about it is she's already crate trained and doesn't cry or whine when we crate her.

One thing we are not satisfied with is how much she bites. I understand that puppies bite and it's normal, but I would like to train her out of it as soon as possible. I've read that one good way is to yelp or yell "ouch!" when she grabs skin and then give her something else to chew on. Or to get up and walk away from her after the yelp. We've been trying that but then she chases after us and bites our feet. I find that if I stop moving and just stare down at her quietly, Cesar Milan style, she backs off. Can anyone offer any other advice?

Also, if she gets too excited, we crate her as a time out for her (and a rest for us). She goes outside as soon as she comes out and I think she's getting the idea that potty in the house is a no-no. Any comments on the time-out sessions?

Thanks for any info! Neither of us has had a puppy since we were kids and so far we're enjoying it a lot!

KCC

Comments (24)