SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbara48_gw

What are you cooking for thanksgiving

barbara48
15 years ago

I would love to see what other people are cooking. I will do all the old favorites but I would like a few new ideas especially for pumpkin pie. What do serve before dinner? I was thinking smoked salmon but I would also like something else that was no too heavy. Inquiring minds want to know.

Comments (52)

• Marigene
    15 years ago

Turkey/stuffing/gravy
    Roasted squash or sweet potatoes
    Rutabaga
    Green beans
    Cranberry sauce
    Spicery rolls
    Maple/pumpkin pie/whipped cream
    Apple pie
    Eggnog

• daylilydayzed
    15 years ago

My orange glazed turkey, my mom's recipe for stuffing that I have eaten every Thanksgiving of my life, creamy mashed potatoes. Green vegetables will be broccoli or green beans depending on what is in freezer. Then we will have the required pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce.

• Related Discussions

It's that time again! I'm going to cook Thanksgiving dinner

Q

Comments (15)
    I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow. Our T-day is going to be on Friday this year, because of various travel schedules, not to mention the several people who wanted to have dinner at their in-laws AND wanted to have dinner at DD's. I'm actually pleased ~~ for once, I won't be rushing home from work to start the prep for all the veggie dishes. Five vegs this year: cream-cheese/chili corn, harvard beets, gingered carrots & pears, snap peas (a change from the spinach squares), and a broccoli/cauliflower dish that has a nutmeg/cheddar sauce. Tried this last year and it was a success. 1 big bag of baby carrots, thoroughly rinsed, and the fat ones cut in half lengthwise. Dump in big pot of lightly salted boiling water, let boil for 10 minutes. While the carrots are cooking, open and drain a can of sliced pears -- this year, I'll have to slice halves, no pre-sliced in stock at the store. Put about ½ cup of pear jelly [or pear jam or apple jelly] in a small bowl and nuke just until warm and mostly melted. Stir ½ teaspoon ground ginger OR 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger into the melted jelly. Taste jelly and add more ginger if needed (you should be able to clearly taste the ginger). Depending on how many carrots, you may need to double the gingered jelly. Drain the carrots and dump into a large bowl. Pour the gingered jelly over and stir until all carrots are coated. Fold in the pear slices. For the dinner, it does very well on a warming tray, not going mushy. Have a good day, and may all your Thanksgiving dishes be wonderful.
    ...See More

So have you started cooking for Thanksgiving?

Q

Comments (5)
    I started Monday. Made cornbread for dressing and froze mashed potatoes and honey maple rolls. Tomorrow I'll make two pumpkin pies, green beans w. garlic, bake the ham and green chili corn pudding. Pack relish tray in zip baggies ready for the tray. Turkey's thawing in the refridgerator. Actually on Thursday moning about all I'll have to do is stuff and bake the turkey, make gravy, and assemble fruit salad and relish tray. The rest is all just heat and eat.
    ...See More

Urgent Thanksgiving cooking question

Q

Comments (18)
    mnerg - I did that very thing but for a different reason. I live in a remote town in Alaska and the 'bakery' here only has pansy bread...meaning soft, pillowy - NOT the kind you'd need to stand up to French-onion soup! It worked out just fine. I prefer not to have my bread soaked, anyway. But, I think if I were to ever make it again with some really good hard-crusted bread I can get in Anchorage, I will try the broiler method...just so I can say "I did it!" I may go back to the other way...we'll have to see. I think part of the French-onion soup experience is the cutting into the gooey, stringy cheese along with the soup & stringing it up to your mouth :)
    ...See More

Food Safety re: transporting a Thanksgiving partly cooked turkey

Q

Comments (16)
    A basic cooler will keep something cold or hot for hours. Safely. We do it all the time for BBQs(hot) and frozen foods. Think your basic travel mugs. Hot coffee 2 hours later, iced tea in the summer...ice still solid cubes. If you are not sure about your coolers insulation, test it. (there is foam in the layers usually.) The manufacturers know what they are doing. No need to build your own. Put a towel in the bottom, then some newspaper, or cardboard...then a pot of hot water or tea kettle. Test the temp, then again in an hour, then two hours. Or four... Hot food will be safely hot for a long time. Depending on your cooler. I've never needed longer than 2-3 hours so not tested more than that...but I have traveled with a solid block of bagged cod frozen for four days and it was still solid. (dropped the block on a rock when home and put the frozen bagged portions into the freezer). Hot food above 140. Magic numbers are 40-140. Cold food under 40, hot food above 140. Cook your turkey to almost done 160. Covered, not crispy roasted yet. Cheese cloth butter soaked on the breast maybe. (foil over). Find a pan that fits your cooler over a towel and newspaper. Breast side down, (all the juices Weill keep the breast moist) cover with parchment/foil, then newspaper, another towel ...temp may drop to 155-160 in two hours. Safe temp. Oven roast half hour 375 ish when you arrive. Breast side up uncovered to brown. You can pre-heat your cooler with a pan of hot water or kettle if nervous. But you have an instant read so you can check it. Seems a bit of a pain-in-the-but though rather simple thought through the process and having it all ready to go.
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    15 years ago

Artichoke dip
    Brie
    Turkey w/onion sage stuffing
    Mashed potatoes
    Sweet potatoes with apples and maple
    Cranberry orange relish (fresh)
    Corn casserole
    7up salad (long standing tradition)
    Pie-haven't decided on the kind yet

Nancy

• marymd7
    15 years ago

Turkey (smoked on the grill)
    Gravy
    Mashed Potatoes
    Wild Rice
    Stuffing
    Rolls (traditionally butterhorns)
    Pickles
    Cranberries
    Roasted Brussels Sprouts
    Veg #2 (depends)
    Pumpkin Pie
    Pumpkin Pecan Pie
    Pie #3 (probably apple, but maybe cherry)
    Whipped Cream
    Hot Apple Cider
    Pop and Water
    Way Too Much Booze

I don't like to do appetizers on T-giving because there's already too much food, but several of my guests will probably bring a "before."

• jessyf
    15 years ago

DH will smoke a whole kosher turkey
    Mandalay green beans, and plain steamed for picky kids
    Mashed potatoes
    A friend is bringing sweet potatoes with marshmallows LOL
    cranberry sauce, but I must have at least half a package made into Jezebel
    I'll figure out a vegetarian stuffing
    Terri's honey wheat rolls
    Dairy free pumpkin pie that uses coconut milk
    Same friend is bringing apple pie
    Good coffee/tea and good wine, for my guests

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

I don't usually post here but came to look for TG ideas. I would like to add something on the lighter side but can't figure out what. Here's my menu:

- crudités
    - homemade spinach artichoke dip w/ buttered & toasted baguette rounds
    - brie w/caramelized onions & flat bread
    - organic buttermilk-brined turkey
    - turkey gravy
    - Mom's bread stuffing
    - garlic mashed potatoes
    - corn casserole
    - field greens salad w/ walnuts, cranberries & goat cheese w/ raspberry vinaigrette
    - green beans almondine
    - brussell sprouts w/ pancetta
    - fresh orange cranberry sauce w/ walnuts
    - whipped sweet potatoes w/ cardamom
    - rosemary clover leaf rolls
    - chocolate pecan pie
    - Granny's cherry pie
    - pumpkin gooey butter cake
    - cranberry bread w/ cream cheese
    - fresh whipped cream
    - vanilla ice cream
    - Arnie Palmer, regular iced tea, soda, BYOB (we don't drink but guests are more than welcome!)

We are having our biggest crowd ever this year and I'm a little anxious. Wish me luck!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

good luck, kellyeng. So you want to replace any of those things with lighter stuff, or add lighter stuff to the list you already have?

You already have turkey which is pretty healthy sans gravy, and the green beans have lots of monounsaturated fat in the almonds. The salad could be given a choice of a light dressing and sweet potatoes are good if you don't add too much butter.

Maybe a fruit salad or an additional (lighter) dessert? Or maybe roast the sweet potatoes instead of mashing them since you already have mashed potatoes. You could always add another vegetable, but I don't know how many people you want to feed, you could already feed an army, LOL.

Annie

Annie

• User
    15 years ago

Same menu, as always, but I want to add a new green vegetable:

Nuts (for those who are too hungry to wait)

No first course -- too long for the children
    Turkey
    tarragon/mushroom/pine nut stuffing
    candied yams with marshmallows
    cranberry orange conserve with cardamom
    Timbale of Fresh Corn from Julia Child (but with canned corn)
    Green Vegetable TBD
    Dessert brought by guests

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Kelly your menu sounds great, just the way it is.

OK, I can't help myself......."there's always room for Jello!"

Nancy

• rhome410
    15 years ago

We host every other year, and my daughter took on the turkey roasting when she was 14! She makes a sausage stuffing, and acorn squash to go with. My dad doesn't think it's Thanksgiving unless he has candied sweet potatoes, so we have to have those, and my niece loves green bean casserole. My sister is the dinner roll champ in the family. We also throw in a green salad and fruit salad, usually brought by another niece.

For appetizers, we have a hot cream cheese, shrimp, and pepper (banana peppers or other mild variety) dip served with small slices of French bread, and salsa and chips.

For dessert my daughter's pumpkin cheesecake and cranberry cheesecake are big hits. This year we'll also throw in some of my green tomato mincemeat pie (thanks to Annie for the idea and recipe).

• shaun
    15 years ago

I just found out I'm hosting Thanksgiving Dinner for 13 people.

Guess I'll make the same ol same ol. Turkey, dressing,gravy, taters, broccoli casserole. My sister is bringing pies, her daughter is bringing cookies. So all I have to do is concentrate on the dinner part.

I might make some little snackies to munch on while it's all cooking. Maybe those little brie cups w/jam in them might be good too.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Jessy, you have got to try this then..since you are going for the Coconut Milk Pumpkin Pie..It's on my to try list!!!

And with the temps in SoCa..It's what I'd be eating..LOL

As far as what I'm cooking..
    Turkey, pre salted
    Honey Wheat Rolls
    baked sweet potato something (I have fresh ones I roasted and chunked a few weeks back in the freezer.)
    mashed potatoes
    Roasted green beans or broccoli~depends on what my co op has available.
    Roasted beets probably too
    Gravy, and a small batch of my grammas peanut stuffing, for me!
    Dessert will be Spice Rack Sweet Potato Pie~all for hubby
    Pumpkin Pie~for #1 son
    and maybe a cheesecake or cheese pie with Raspberries for the rest of us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Decadent Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

My kids are used to me cooking something different and experimenting all of the time throughout the year, but at Thanksgiving they like the tradition!

Shrimp Mold with crackers for appetizer
    Turkey: If my brother comes, he'll be frying one or two. But I'll still roast a big one in the oven because as good as the fried ones are, you don't have any drippings for gravy if you only fry!
    Cornbread dressing (same recipe for 30 years now!)
    Gravy (I'll be "channeling" my dad who was the gravy master!)
    Mashed Potaoes
    Sweet Potato Casserole
    Green Beans: either "the" GB casserole or a sweet/sour almondine
    Green Pea Salad (another must have according to my family)
    Canned Cranberry Sauce - cut into shapes with a star cookie cutter
    Pickles, Olives, PIckled Okra
    Homemade Rolls (Mrs. Zojurushi helps!) served with butter pats molded in shell shaped butter molds
    Pecan Pie
    Another Pie (cherry probably)

Grace

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Terri you enabler you

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Jessy, it's healthy icecream!!!!!

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

This is the plan right now but it could change! I've got quite a few coming too but I love it.

Appetizers while I can pull things together in a very short amount of time:

Large Antipasto Platter (Artichokes, Cheeses, crackers, bread, hummus/pita chips, olives, shrimp, meats, peppers, etc.

Vegetables & Dip

Dinner:

Turkey/Gravy
    Stuffing
    Mashed Potatoes
    Corn Casserole
    Green Beans
    Grilled Vegetables (Squash, Zucc., Onions & Tomato)
    Creamed Onions
    Cranberry Sauce
    Spiced Peaches

Desserts:

Pumpkin Pie, Candy Bar Brownies, Chunky Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Ann's Silly Toffee Squares

Thanksgiving and Christmas are really the only time that I bake a lot. Lots will be packed up for family to take home.

• sooz
    15 years ago

Here's my menu, subject to change of course!

Appetizers:
    Pirouettes for the teens
    Pesto Torta & crackers
    Hummus & pita chips
    Assorted vegs & spinach dip
    Shrimp Rillettes w/crostini
    Chilled shrimp "dressed" with pesto
    Bite-size lemon cakes (doing the Costco dance for this!)
    Phyllo Cups--buttered phyllo with a dollop of chevre, topped with a bit of homemade cranberry sauce
    Salami & pepperoni & crackers

Bread:
    Asst Rolls/Breads with Irish Kerrygold butter (my fave!)

Sides:
    Sweet potatoes w/pecans
    Cranberry sauce
    Roasted red peppers
    Buttered corn
    Green peas (maybe with pearl onions)
    Mashed Potatoes
    Cornbread stuffing w/Italian sausage
    Vegetarian stuffing w/apples, cranberries, celery, onions & carrots

Main:
    Turkey with gravy
    Tofurkey for my vegetarian cousins
    Baked ziti--only because the lasagna won't fit in the oven with the other stuff

Salad:
    Tossed green salad with cranberry/apple salad dressing

Dessert:
    Chocolate chip cookies
    Pies--pumpkin, apple, maybe a third and fourth pie too
    Freshly whipped cream
    Freshly whipped maple cream

Assorted wines, bottled water beverages, soda, diet soda, assorted beer, Crystal Lite, Sweet & Spicy Cinnamon Tea

Oh, roll me out the door!

• sooz
    15 years ago

OOPS! Forgot one more appetizer--a wheel of baby Brie that will be "stuffed" with Gorgonzola and a bit of Major Grey's chutney (from lindac's recipe)

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

We go totally traditional at the Holidays.

Instead of an appetizer we have turkey egg drop soup as a light meal/lunch/brunch a couple hours before the meal. I take the wings off the turkey and the neck and make a good sized batch of broth with it for the stuffing and use the rest for the soup.

Turkey [22 lb free from Acme]
    Sage Stuffing [I have some of my artisan bread to use in it]
    Mashed potatoes
    Candied White sweet potatoes
    Steamed brussel sprouts
    I too have to have the Ocean Spray jellied
    Creamed carrots are a family tradition from my parents and now Christy has to have them
    Tons of great gravy
    Grn and blk olives to go along with the cranberry sauce in clearing palate inbetween all the heavier stuff ;]
    Dessert is Pumpkin Pie and Chocolate Pudding Pie. Both with very slightly sweet whipped cream.

Too much food for 2 people, 1 dog and 8 cats? Good thing I'm the queen of loving to eat leftovers. Can almost smell that bird cooking now. mmmmmm

• livvyandbella
    15 years ago

Sooz,
    Could you please tell me your cranberry apple dressing for salad? That sounds so good.
    Barb

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

We're doing two smaller (12 lbs. each) turkeys this year, one that's brined and then stuffed and roasted inside and the second to fry outside, as the men-folk are out there roasting and shucking oysters, too.

Appetizers

Bacon wrapped pineapple chunks
    Ham & cream cheese pinwheels
    Crabmeat stuffed mushroom caps
    Veggie tray with dip

Turkeys
    Oyster stuffing
    Home-made cranberry sauce
    Giblet gravy
    Butternut squash
    Sweet potato casserole
    Do ahead mashed white potato casserole
    Asian-style green beans

Assorted rolls

Desserts
    Pumpkin chiffon pie
    Apple pie

And I'm looking for something else sweet with chocolate - if anyone has any ideas.......??????

• woodie
    15 years ago

Kelly, we've had some Arnie Palmer in FL and liked it - can't get it here in NJ!

Barbara, in case you're still interested in a smoked salmon appetizer, DDIL just made this the other day and they were a really big hit - adapted from a Cooking Light recipe. It was a little too tart/lemony for me and I would reduce the lemon juice, unless maybe her hand slipped as she measured!

Smoked Salmon Appetizer

4 ounces of light cream cheese
    4 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon capers, chopped
    4 teaspoons chopped chives

4 ounces smoked salmon
    24 slices cocktail size pumpernickel bread

Mix first 4 ingredients together and spread on bread. Lay slices of smoked salmon on top.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

OMG I forgot one of my vegetable dishes! It wouldn't be a Louisiana holiday without Spinach Madeleine!!

Grace

• User
    15 years ago

Traditional fare that our family has been serving for decades -

Cranberry/Apple Punch (for the kids)
    Cheese/cracker & fruit tray
    Crudites & dip
    Roast Turkey
    Meat Stuffing (old French Canadian recipe)
    Gravy
    Mashed Potatoes
    Roasted Sweet Potatoes
    Cranberry/Orange Relish (homemade)
    Fresh Green Beans
    Turnip/Carrots (combo) Mashed
    Hot Dinner Rolls
    DH's Bread Pudding w/Orange Caramel Sauce
    Pecan Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Coffee & Tea

• jakkom
    15 years ago

Not truly Asian, but Asian-inspired. My family all loves to cook, so we email like crazy as we decide on who's making what!

Thanksgiving 2008 Menu

__Appetizer
    Veggie crudités and dip and chips and cheese

__Soup
    Wintermelon soup (Sho)

__Main courses/Sides
    Deep Fried Turkey and gravy
    Asian Seasoned Roast Turkey (it will be an Apple-Oolong tea brine with
    five spice rub)
    Shrimp Curry with veggies
    Garlic Noodles with lobster/crab and veggies)
    Sticky rice "stuffing"
    Thai Green beans
    Asian Mashed potatoes
    Tempura sweet potato and Kabocha Squash
    Cranberry-Pomegranate Sauce (with fresh cranberries)

__Dessert
    Coconut rice pudding with gingered pears and lichee
    Beautiful Beignets
    Apple Pomegranate Tarte

• dancingqueengw
    15 years ago

JKom - what a great menu!!! Will you share recipies for the Asian Mashed Potatoes, the Tempura Sweet Potatos and the tart?????

• sooz
    15 years ago

Hi, Barb,

Email coming at ya!

Sooz

• livvyandbella
    15 years ago

Thanks Sooz. I have send you an email. My address is new from the list, not sure how to change it.
    Barb

• annie1992
    15 years ago

rhome, you are more than welcome, I hope it turned out well. I don't like the traditional meat based mincemeat, but I like the green tomato stuff, go figure. I like Nancy's (wizardnm) pear mincemeat too.

Grace, Mrs. Zojirushi helps me with the dinner rolls too, I usually make a batch of Sol's honey rolls and one of Terri's honey wheat.

And I'm actually thinking of adding Ann T's parmesan coated sweet potato wedges this year for those of us (Elery and I, LOL) who don't care for the brown sugar/ marshmallow/pecan thing. I just bought sweet potatoes for 29 cents a pound at Horrock's, nice, big, fresh ones!

Annie

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

Annie, I was looking to add another "light" dish to the menu. Luckily a vegetarian friend ask to bring something so she solved my problem. Maybe she'll bring jello!

Woodie, that's so weird because I live in Texas where no Arnie Palmer is to be had but it was in New Jersey where I discovered it!

Everyone's menu sounds wonderful!

• woodie
    15 years ago

Kelly, that is really funny! Where in NJ did you get it? You can email me if you like.

• kellyeng
    15 years ago

Mendham, Bernardsville, Chester, Shorthills area. My sister lives in Bernardsville and when we're driving around I usually have no idea what town we are even in because they are all so close together.

Anyway, I usually find AP at grills or pubs.

• woodie
    15 years ago

Thanks Kelly, that's not far from me - we'll look for it again!

• barbara48
    Original Author
    15 years ago

JKrom - what a fabulous menu. could you share the green bean recipe? Maybe i could work it into my menu. My son is on a low residue diet after an operation and it is tough planning this menu, I guess it is turkey and potatoes for him. smoked salmon works as well.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Well, I think we finally have our menu:
    Cheese and Crackers
    Wine and beer
    Turkey on the grill (with a bottle of white wine)
    Dressing with sage
    Gravy
    Fresh Cranberry Sauce and canned sauce, also
    Green Beans with Caramelized Onions
    Sweet Potato Casserole
    Vegetarian Dish
    Homemade Rolls
    Iced Tea
    Apple Pie
    Spanish Bar Cake

• caboodle
    15 years ago

Ours will be:
    Turkey
    Cornbread dressing with celery, onions, and sage
    Scalloped oysters
    Mashed potatoes with gravy
    Glazed sweet potatoes
    Some sort of salad (this year, the lettuce, cauliflower, bacon salad)
    A jello salad (this year, the orange jello with grated carrot salad)
    The infamous green bean casserole
    Some sort of 'lighter vegetable' - this year, green peas with pearl onions
    Rolls
    Raw cranberry relish
    Pies

Sometimes someone brings something new - which is great, but these tend to be our standbys.

Judi

• mrsmarv
    15 years ago

I'll jump in here ;o)

Cold antipasto: Assorted olives, salami roll-ups, artichoke hearts, provolone, roasted red peppers, fresh mozzarella and tomato salad, breadsticks.

Roast turkey with cornbread-sausage stuffing
    Herb stuffing
    Mashed potatoes (our garden potatoes) & gravy
    Sweet potato casserole with cranberries & apples
    Cipollini agradolce
    Asparagus
    Cranberry-orange sauce
    Dinner rolls

Baba's apple cake
    French apple pie
    Pumpkin bread
    Apple cider, tea assortment, coffee
    Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc

• bemily
    15 years ago

I've searched, planned and have thoroughly (and OCD) outlined it all and this is the plan: for 14 people

appetizers
    dubliner and brie cheeses
    (considering putting the spiced cranberry sauce on the brie)
    assorted crackers
    jalapeno olives
    apple slices, grapes
    black pepper almonds
    (decided to forgo the bacon wrapped asparagus to promote hunger)

drinks
    red and white wine, beer
    sparkling pomegranate and cranberry juices
    assorted sodas and waters

Dinner
    Alton Browns Good eats roast turkey (over 1700 positive reviews!)
    Honey baked ham
    England Sausage, apple & dried cranberry stuffing
    Southern Cornbread stuffing
    Baked mashed potatoes with parmesan & bread crumbs
    Maple glazed yams with pecan topping
    Creamed Corn gratin with fried onion rings & bacon
    Green beans with mushroom Madeira sauce
    Southern Biscuits
    Assorted dinner rolls
    Homemade Gravy
    Cranberry Horseradish sauce
    Spiced cranberry sauce with Zinfandel

dessert - guests will bring
    pumpkin, pecan, apple pies, cookies

Would like to make a homemade whipped topping in place of the cool whip/whipped cream but have never tried it. Any tried and true recipes?

• bemily
    15 years ago

Thats supposed to be New England sausage stuffing, not England
    (epicurious recipe)

• caliloo
    15 years ago

For homemade whipped topping - I just make sweetened (with a drop of vanilla too) whipped cream and stop whipping when it is sort of soft - not when it is stiff.

We are having Thanksgiving at a friends house, so I am bringing the appetizers, a side or two and a Pecan Pie for desert... sort of a group effort! Here is the menu that I know of....

Appetizers:

Tiny sandwich bites with apple, smoked gouda and proscuitto
    Red Pepper and Boursin Tart
    Goat Cheese Crostini with Orange Marmalade
    Crudites & Dip
    Chips

Main:

Roast Turkey with Shallot Gravy
    Mashed Potatoes
    Stuffing
    Corn
    Green Bean Casserole with COM Shoup AND Durkee Fried Onions
    Some sort of Tossed Salad
    Roasted Root Veggies with fresh herbs

Dessert
    Pumpkin Cheesecake
    Pecan Pie
    Brownies
    Cookies

And lots of wine and beer and sodas and iced teas.....

• dottieq
    15 years ago

Am I missing something? Where I come from (VA) an Arnie Palmer is half iced tea and half lemonade. You don't have to go to Texas or New Jersey to get it. It's easy to make yourself. Are you speaking of something else?

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Dottie I am from VA also and as far as I know an Arnie Palmer is half and half just as you described. I do know that there are alcohol versions that are named Tom Arnold and such.

I just posted a couple of weeks ago about how I am hooked right now on Nantucket Nectars Half & Half. It's great!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

I love Nantucket Nectars Half & Half on a hot summer day, ice cold from a cooler on the beach. Can't beat it.

seagrass

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

Appetizers (basically serve as lunch)

Cheese & Crackers
    Celery Stuffed with Cream Cheese & Olives
    Relish Tray
    Spinach Artichoke Dip
    Shrimp Cocktail

Dinner
    Roast Turkey with Bread Stuffing
    Gravy
    Whipped Potatoes
    Sweet Potato Casserole
    Red Cabbage
    Brussel Sprouts
    Glazed Carrots
    Green Bean Casserole
    Creamed onions
    Cranberry Sauce (from the can)

Served with Date Bread and Parker House Rolls

Dessert
    Pumpkin Pie
    Banana Cream Pie
    That Necco Wafer Chocolate Refrigerator Roll thingie I will make with the kids
    Irish Coffee with Real Whipped Cream
    BaileyÂs
    Mints & Queen Anne Chocolate Covered Cherries (a must!)

Wines
    Beaujolais Nouveau
    Riesling

• woodie
    15 years ago

I'm talking about a cabernet sauvignon :)

The only place I've ever had half ice tea and half lemonade has been in Virginia or in North Carolina!

Here is a link that might be useful: Arnie Palmer

• dottieq
    15 years ago

Okay Dixiedog....I need to know what a Nantucket Nectar is.

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Everyone's menu sounds so good! Sooz, I told DH that I think I want to go to your house for Thanksgiving instead of his sister's house, lol. There's nothing wrong with what she prepares, but your menu just sounds so good, especially since you're fixing vegetarian food too.

As I mentioned, we're going to my SIL's for Thanksgiving, as we do pretty much every year.

I'll be bringing:

Spinach Gratin
    A green salad
    Preacher's Wife's Rolls
    Chocolate Ricotta Pie
    DH's Apple Pie
    Maybe some Truffles

SIL usually makes

Roast Turkey
    Roast Ham
    Green Bean Casserole
    Potato Casserole
    Dressing of some kind
    Sweet Potatoes, in a casserole kind of dish - I think the traditional candied type.

So, it's pretty much traditional fare.

Sally

• vicki_lv_nv
    15 years ago

I want to show up at everyone else's house that has posted here...for Thanksgiving!

We have such varied tastes at our home. So here is my menu...so far:

Cornish Game Hens, smoked
    Stuffing
    Mashed Potatoes
    Gravy, that I will make from turkey wings
    Biscuits, my Aunt Ruby's recipe
    Sauteed Green Beans, my sister makes these
    Scalloped Oysters OR
    Scalloped Corn OR both!
    Cranberry Sauce w/Oranges, fresh
    Pumpkin Cake w/Whipped Cream, first time trying this

I have asked everyone to come up with something they want, so the menu is bound to expand. My sister and I are the only ones that will eat the oysters...so I am looking for a different recipe to try.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Scratch my traditional Thanksgiving menu that I posted last week!!

I knew that only one of my sons would be home, but now my nephew and brother won't be able to join us and everyone else that I've thought of to ask to join us already has plans. So it will just be the three of us. When you're used to cooking for 12 most years, it's hard to get excited about doing it all for just 3! Especially since we'll have almost the identical menu for Christmas day.

My son who's home from college happily agreed that it seemed a little silly to cook a turkey, so I'm going with the flow and changing plans! A local deli has some beautiful stuffed chicken breasts that I've always wanted to try and so that may be the main course. I'll still do some special vegs, dessert and homemade bread. Just not the dressing, gravy, bird etc.

Grace

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

"Okay Dixiedog....I need to know what a Nantucket Nectar is."

I love them! Their Half & Half is just right. Not too sweet. I get them at Whole Foods but they are sold at other places also.

http://www.nantucketnectars.com/

Grace, your holiday will be just as special. The chickens you are thinking about getting sound great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nantucket Nectars