SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

What to do with fresh cranberries, not sauce please

jclepine
16 years ago

Hi. I need help with my slightly compulsive shopping! We both prefer the canned cranberry jelly, but for some odd reason, I bought a bag of fresh cranberries. I have no idea what to do with them and feel a little silly.

I did a search, but I'm not too happy with the search function, seeing as how it can take me to a topic with 100 posts that I have to scan through only to find one reference to cranberries.

I am hoping for some ideas, mainly for muffins with the fresh berries. Does anyone think I'll have to cook and sweeten the berries first or can I just add them straight?

If there are any high-alt recipes, I'd love 'em, but I can always adjust a recipe, so anything yummy would be great.

Thank you!!

Jennifer

Comments (26)

• doucanoe
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jennifer, I have a wonderful recipe for Cranberry Cake with Butter Sauce. I'll post it tonight when I get home. It's incredible!

Linda

• mjrdolfan
    16 years ago

This recipe is a huge hit in my house. I hope you enjoy it!

cranberry apple crisp
    filling
    3 c sliced apples
    1-2 c cranberries (fresh)
    3 tbsp flour
    1/2 - 1 c sugar
    pinch cinnamon
    topping
    1/4 c chopped nuts
    1 1/2 c oats
    1/2 c flour
    1/2 c brown sugar
    1/2 c melted butter
    combine filling ingred and pour into greased 11 x 7 baking dish. Mix topping ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle over filling.
    bake 350 for 50 min or until golden. (great with vanilla ice cream)

• Related Discussions

Fresh Tomato Sauce and Long Simmered Sauce

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't like either. (shrug) If I'm going to have anything that resembles pizza, I want slices of fresh tomato, none of that sauce. If I have pasta, I want hot pasta tossed with chunks of fresh tomato and herbs and good fresh parmesan shaved on top. Oh, and the pasta needs to be something besides white, I prefer whole wheat or herbed homemade pasta. I did make a passable basil pasta, so I might do that again. I'm not really wild about ground meat either, the texture puts me off, so that takes care of the meatball issue. I do eat them, occasionally, but like meatloaf or cheeseburgers, I'm really apathetic about them. My girls love the Rocco's Mama's Meatballs that got posted here a couple of years ago, I make hundreds of those every fall when the beef is slaughtered and they go into the freezer, "fast food" on crazy busy days. Of course, most of them go into Amanda's freezer, LOL. They don't get either sauce, both my girls like Prego, as do the grandkids. Go figure, they don't like the homemade stuff at all, heathens, I think it's the corn syrup that they actually like... Annie
    ...See More

Fav easy cranberry sauce please ;-)

Q

Comments (10)
    This recipe is from Joy of Cooking. Been using it for years! 1 lb. cranberries, picked over 2 cups sugar 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup orange juice (now I sub tangerine juice) 2 teaspoons grated orange zest. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until most of the cranberries pop open and the mixture is somewhat thickened, 7-10 minutes. If desired, add: 1/2 cup blanched almonds, slivered (I don't) Let cool and serve or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
    ...See More

do you have a can of ocean spray cranberry sauce in your pantry?

Q

Comments (13)
    My hackles went up increasingly as I read this thread. It is so annoying when they decrease the size of items, it messes up my recipes (and if the Breyer's ice cream box gets any smaller, they may as well sell it in single-serving containers). I wish they'd just leave the size/amount alone and simply raise the price when they want to implement price increases!! But even worse, they put HFCS in everything these days. And with cranberries, it's not like you can make it from scratch every time, as fresh cranberries are not available year-round.
    ...See More

Canned cranberry sauce/jelly

Q

Comments (33)
    Reporting back--I decided to use a melon baller instead of cutting the jelly into cubes, then sprinkled the fruit with chia seeds and skipped the walnuts. The mint leaves were all frozen, so I used celery leaves: I used the leftovers of the cranberry jelly, mixed with pineapple juice, to glaze the ham. It was delicious! My impressions of canned cranberry jelly: It was very bland, compared to my homemade relish, but the tart and sweet fruit gave the salad enough punch. It was very refreshing with the baked ham. I wouldn't eat the jelly alone, but the texture is perfect if you want to spread it on a sandwich, which I don't. ------------------------------------------------------------------ Here is my Cranberry Relish Recipe For A Crowd, for lovemrmewey: 4 12oz packages fresh cranberries, rinsed 1 tsp minced candied ginger or 1/2 tsp ground ginger 3 cups sugar (I short each cup by a couple of tablespoons) 4 6oz packages of gelatin--any red or orange--I use red raspberry 2 20oz cans crushed pineapple, drained (reserve liquid) 4 11oz-15oz cans mandarin oranges, drained (reserve liquid) 2 tart apples, finely chopped zest of one orange, or 2Tbs OJ concentrate Make gelatin using the reserved liquid from the pineapple and mandarin oranges, with enough water added to complete the instructions. Chill until almost set--thick but not solid. While gelatin is chilling, cook 3 packages of the cranberries with 3 cups water and sugar. Cool. Grind the cooked cranberries with the remaining uncooked cranberries. I use a blender for this step. Cranberries can be cooked the night before and allowed to cool overnight in fridge. Mix the almost set gelatin, cranberry mixture, drained fruit, and orange zest. Chill until set. Keeps well for several days, and can be frozen. OT, here's a pic of my Christmas Eve cheese fish, requested by my grandson. Brother and SIL brought shrimp, so 10yr old GS had fun telling everyone 'Merry Fishmas'. Diabetic cherry Christmas pie for my father:
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    16 years ago

My favorite use for fresh cranberries? Last year I just whipped an egg white, used that to coat the cranberries and then rolled them in sugar because I wanted them as a decoration for my pumpkin cheesecake. They were lovely, but I spent most of my time eating those sugar encrusted berries, they were so good.

Yes, I know all about the raw egg thing, but I have my own chickens and use my own eggs and the USDA can butt out. actually, I think you could accomplish the same thing with any wetting ingredient, even water. Orange juice might be good.....

Annie

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Mjrdolfan!! What a great recipe and you've given me a thought...am making an apple brown betty and think I'll toss in a handful of fresh cranberries.

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

Chop some up and add to your favorite nut bread or muffin recipe.

• msazadi
    16 years ago

There are pickled cranberries, cranberry chutney...neither of which I've made yet.

This one is on my to do list...
    DESSERT Cranberry Walnut Tart via doucanoe
    Sweet pastry dough
    3 large eggs
    2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
    2/3 cup light corn syrup
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 1/4 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries (7 oz; thawed if frozen)
    1 cup chopped walnuts (1/4 lb)
    Special equipment: a 10- to 11-inch round tart pan (1 inch deep) with a removable bottom; pie weights or raw rice
    Make shell:
    Roll out dough into a 13-inch round (1/8 inch thick) on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin and fit into tart pan. Trim edge of dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, then fold overhang inward and press against side of pan to reinforce edge. Lightly prick bottom of shell all over with a fork, then chill 30 minutes.
    Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 425F. Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights.
    Bake until pastry is set and pale golden on rim, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights and bake shell until pale golden all over, 5 to 10 minutes more. Transfer shell in pan to a rack.
    Make filling:
    Move oven rack to middle position and reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
    Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth, then stir in cranberries and walnuts.
    Pour filling into shell and bake tart until filling is set and golden, 40 to 45 minutes. (If pastry edge darkens before tart is done, cover edge with a pie shield or foil.) Cool completely in pan on rack.
    Cooks' notes:
    Â Tart can be baked 1 day ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature.
    Linda

This is one of our favorites... DESSERT Drenched Cranberry Cake via LoriJean 2 cups all\-purpose flour 1 cup sugar 2\-1/2 tsp. baking powder 3 Tablespoons butter, melted 2/3 cup milk 1 egg 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (or blueberries) Sauce: 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter 1 cup sugar 3/4 cup heavy cream 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter a 9\-inch round pan. Sift the flour, sugar, and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the butter, milk, and egg. Beat for 2 minutes, or until smooth. Stir in the cranberries. Pour into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake for 1 hour, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, then remove from pan when cool. To make the sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the sugar, cream, and vanilla bean. Stir to mix well. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean. Serve the cake with each individual slice generously drenched with the warmed sauce. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ And these are decadent...Does anyone claim these so I can credit you? DESSERT Cranberry Bliss Bars Cake 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed 3 eggs 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 1 teaspoon ground ginger 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups all\-purpose flour 3/4 cup diced dried cranberries 6 ounces white chocolate, cut into chunks Frosting 4\-ounces cream cheese, softened 3 cups powdered sugar 4 teaspoons lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 cup diced dried cranberries Drizzled Icing 1/2 cup powdered sugar 1 tablespoon milk 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening 1\. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 2\. Make cake by beating butter and brown sugar together with an electric mixer until smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, ginger, and salt and beat well. Gradually mix in flour until smooth. Mix 3/4 cup diced dried cranberries and white chocolate into the batter by hand. Pour batter into a well\-greased 9x13\-inch baking pan. Use a spatula to spread the batter evenly across the pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cake is light brown on the edges. Allow cake to cool. 3\. Make frosting by combining softened cream cheese, 3 cups powdered sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. When the cake has cooled, use a spatula to spread frosting over the top of the cake. 4\. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of diced cranberries over the frosting on the cake. 5\. Whisk together 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, and shortening. Drizzle icing over the cranberries in a sweeping motion or use a pastry bag with a fine tip to drizzle frosting across the top of the cake. 6\. Allow cake to sit for several hours, then slice the cake lengthwise (the long way) through the middle. Slice the cake across the width three times making a total of eight rectangular slices. Slice each of those rectangles diagonally creating 16 triangular slices. 16 bars
  • Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Annie, the other day at Safeway I saw pasturized eggs in the shell. A dozen were well over $4. I was suprised to see that.
    LOL
    I have no hesitation using homegrown eggs in their raw form.
    In the spring and summer I buy them from a friend.
    The rest of the year.....I pay way more for lesser quality eggs...I'm trying to convince hubby I need a half dozen layers of my own..He does notice and prefer the homegrown eggs.

• jclepine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, I'm salivating right now!!!
    Thank you all so much, the recipes are making me want to bake them now instead of waiting till thursday.
    I kind of like the idea of dipping them in surgar...I might not use the egg white, but I do like candy or anything similar!
    I am going to have to think about which one I'm gonna use!! I may just go buy a few more bags...store them for later use...make all the recipes listed!
    I am tempted, though, to go an easy route and add some chopped berries to the muffin recipe I have that is already high-alt adjusted...I'm not sure if that is lazy or just simple?!
    Thanks all, it makes my planning so much easier.
    Jennifer

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

I have an Ocean Spray Cookbook with over 200 recipes including appetizers, beverages, desserts and more (Copyright 1995). It uses both canned whole/jelled and fresh/frozen whole cranberries in the recipes. Many of the same recipes appear at their web site: http://www.oceanspray.com/recipes/

My all-time favorite use for fresh cranberries is this recipe:

FRESH CRANBERRY-ORANGE RELISH
    (source: SuperFoods - by Steeven Pratt, M.D., and Kathy Matthews)

Makes about 3 cups (I tend to make half a recipe.)

1 12-oz. package Ocean Spray fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed and drained
    1 UNpeeled orange (washed), cut into eights and seeded
    3/4 c. sugar (I use 1/3 c. agave nectar - low-glycemic)

Place half the cranberries and half the orange pieces in a food processor and process until the mixture is evenly chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining cranberries and orange slices. Store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve.
    --------------

So simple - so tasty!
    -Grainlady

• lisacdm
    16 years ago

Cranberry Upside-Downer
    Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1 cup minus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 chopped walnuts or pecans -
    2 cups cranberries - I used fresh. If you are using frozen do not thaw)
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1/3 cup whole milk
    1/3 cup cranberry jelly
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Method:

Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F (180 degrees Celsius).

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan. Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of the sugar and cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil. Pour this over the bottom of a 8 x 2 inch round cake pan. Scatter the nuts and top with the cranberries. Press down gently using your fingertips. If frozen berries were used this might cause the butter to congeal - don't worry as everything will melt in the oven. Set this aside.

Using a hand mixture beat the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter on medium speed until smooth. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and continue until the mixture is pale and creamy. If you used brown sugar like I did - it won't turn pale ;-). Beat for about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Pour in the vanilla.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and add half of the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear into the batter. Mix in the milk and then the remaining dry ingredients. Spoon the batter over the cranberries and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and run a blunt knife between the sides of the sides of the pan and the cake. Turn the cake out onto a serving platter.

Warm the jelly in a small saucepan over a low heat. Gently brush the glaze over the hot cake.

Storing recommendations: The cake is best served the day it is made, but it can be covered and kept at room temperature overnight. It's not such a great idea to freeze this, due to the cranberry topping.

This recipe was adapted from Baking: From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan, Houghton Mifflin Company, November 2006.

• kayskats
    16 years ago

I've always loved the cranbery-orange relish posted by Grainlady... found this variation last year in Southern Living .... Although the recipe says it can be held in fridge up to two weeks, I prefer to eat it right away .. the lime gets a bit bitter (at least for my taste)if it is held.

Cranberry-Key Lime Relish

MAKES ABOUT 4 CUPS
    PREP: 10 MIN.

1 (12-oz.) bag fresh cranberries*

4 Key limes

1 cup sugar

¼ cup fresh mint leaves

2 Tbsp. orange liqueur or fresh orange juice

1. Pulse all ingredients in a food processor 10 to 12 times or until finely chopped, stopping to scrape down sides. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

* 1 (12-oz.) bag frozen cranberries, thawed, may be substituted. Note: Key limes are smaller, a bit more round, and have a thinner skin than Persian limes.

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Sol's Cranberry Cream Scones are to die for... I need to make some this week!

Cranberry Cream Scones

2 cups unsifted AP flour, plus flour for dusting
    1/3 cup sugar
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup fresh cranberries
    1 1/3 cups heavy cream
    1 tablespoon each melted butter and confectioners' sugar

Position the oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix the cranberries into the flour mixture.
    Fold the whipped cream into the dry ingredients, just until it forms a rough, semi-cohesive mass.
    Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead gently, only a few times, until the dough holds together. Lightly flour your hands and pat the dough into an 8" circle on a lined baking sheet (I place the dough on a baking stone, lined with parchment). Brush the surface with the butter and sprinkle with the powdered sugar*

Cut circle into 10 wedges, without detaching them. And bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
    Cut into the pre-marked wedges after they're baked.

*I use granulated sugar

• lindac
    16 years ago

Cranberry salsa...serve with corn chips

Cranberry salsa BJ Irwin
    1 12 oz package cranberries
    chopped fine
    1 8 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
    1/3 cup cilantrochopped
    1 seeded jalapeno pepper and chopped fine
    ¼ c. onion chopped
    ¼ cup green pepper chopped
    1 tsp salt
    2/3 cup sugar ( or less)

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Delicious cranberry pie
    2 c fresh cranberries
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup chopped nuts
    2 eggs
    1 cup flour
    1/2 cup melted butter

Spread cranberries over bottom of a greased small square pyrex dish or pie dish
    Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar and nuts
    Beat eggs, add remaining 1 cup sugar. Add flour, melted butter, beat well.
    Pour over cranberries
    Bake 325 for l hour

• User
    16 years ago

Cranberry-Apple Casserole

3 cups peeled, chopped apples
    2 cups fresh cranberries
    3 Tbsp. flour
    1 cup sugar
    3 packets Cinnamon Spice Instant Oatmeal
    3/4 cups chopped pecans/walnuts
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup melted butter

Combine apples, cranberries and 2 Tbsp. flour. Toss to coat. Add 1 cup sugar and mix well. Place in a 2 qt. casserole dish.

Combine oatmeal, nuts, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar and butter, mix well.

Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

• User
    16 years ago

If you are looking for a dessert, I made this pie recently and it was a big hit at our house.

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

I grind them up, then grind two oranges, and one apple. Then I make a large box of red raspberry jello and put the entire ground mess in there. Really, the jello merely holds it together, you don't taste it. Then I thaw one to 2 bags of red raspberries, drain them, and put them in and mix gently. Then I chop about 1 cup of pecans and put them in. Sugar (or splenda) to taste. Set it overnight to firm up. Serve with whip cream. I get rave reviews on this. It's very rich and yummy, and you control the sweetness. The red raspberries are what makes it so good.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to get back here and post this. I have no excuse, just didn't do it last night like I said I would! LOL

Cranberry Cake with Butter Sauce

1/4c butter
    1/2c sugar
    1c flour
    1tsp baking powder
    1/2c milk
    1c whole cranberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease and flour an 8x8 baking pan. Mix butter
    and sugar in medium bowl. Add milk, flour and baking powder, fold in
    cranberries. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce
    oven heat to 350 and bake 20 minutes more.

Sauce

1/2c butter
    3/4c sugar
    1/2c heavy cream
    Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in sugar then add cream and bring to
    slow boil for 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and serve
    warm, spooned over individual slices of cake.

Linda

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

You can also put cranberries in the turkey dressing. I roughly chopped them - just aiming to get them approximately halved so their juices would mix with the rest of the dressing.

For this weekend, I'll be making a cranberry fall crumble from Classic Home Desserts. It calls for 18 oz of cranberries plus a couple of pears and a couple of apples so its kind of similar to the cranberry pear pie above except with an oat based crumb topping and no bottom crust.

Halved and put into a quick bread also is good. The recipe I use is for an orange cranberry bread.

• femmelady
    16 years ago

You can make a Mayflower Martini!! You coat the glass with sweet vermouth, then put in one part white cranberry juice to two parts gin (or two parts juice to one part gin, depending on strength). Float a few little cranberries in the drink for granish!! It's so cute! (Toss them at the end of the drink of course!)

• jclepine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You all are so full of ideas...yummy ideas!! I have changed my mind several times on what I would do with the berries. At first it was the "put them in your favourite recipe" idea that had me...it is a streussel topped muffin. But I am now taken over by the link Ohiomom posted for the cranberry-pear pie!! It looks so yummy! I don't drink alcohol, but I think I will save a few berries to float on either our hot, mulled apple cider or our bubbly water/cranberry juice drink we make...I'll bet they are cute with those berries wobbling about the drink!
    Thanks again everyone. I'll bet lots of us get good ideas from your posts...
    Jennifer

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

I freeze them, right in the bag they come in. To use in baking, I take them and "grind" them in the food processor. I find I like their taste, texture, and colour in baked goods better this way.

Today, I made a sort of slaw with apple, cabbage, carrot, red pepper, and some paper thin sliced frozen cranberries. A tiny splash of champagne vinegar, some salt and pepper (no oil). I didn't grate anything, but rather did the french style of taking forever to cut everything by hand into thin planks, then into very thin strips LOL. Hey, I needed something to do while my pork chops and potatoes were roasting.

I chilled the slaw for a bit, and it turned out better than I had imagined. I think next time I might prefer rice vinegar because it is a little sweeter, but overall I was impressed - since I didn't think I would like apple slaw. The cranberries really added to the taste, texture, and colour. If they had been raw, I don't think it would have worked as well.

• jclepine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That slaw actually sounds very yummy!!

I did it! I used Ohiomom's recipe and made my first pie in like ten years, and it was my first high-alt pie!! Yeah, good stuff. I thank you for the great recipe and I may have to go out and buy that second or third bag of berries...for later.

I made a couple of minor adjustments:
    I added about two very scant Tblps of flour
    Added about two full Tblps of water
    And took out a pinch or two of sugar
    I did use turbinado sugar because I have never liked the white kind, so I always use turbinado or unrefined organic cane. The taste was tops!!

Don't laugh, but my boyfriend licked the plate. Then...a few moments later, I licked my plate and giggled.

Thanks again all, and if anyone wants to try a yummy pie, this is a great one to eat!

The tea is steeping and I will be having my second slice any minute now...

• kframe19
    16 years ago

For a pound of cranberries...

On a large jelly roll pan, pour out about 2 C of sugar.

Separate two eggs. Put the yokes away for something else.

Whip the whites until frothy, but not until they're starting to meringue.

Dump in the cranberries and toss to coat.

Remove cranberries, drain of any excess egg white, and place in the sugared pan.

Stir so that the cranberries pick up as much sugar as possible, then place in a warm spot to dry.

When dry, remove the sugared cranberries to an airtight tin.

You eat them just like candy.

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

The kids and I made Linda's Cranberry Salsa and really liked it. We'll make it again. We modified it slightly.

Cranberry Salsa from BJ Irwin

1 12 oz package cranberries, chopped fine
    1 8 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
    1/3 cup cilantrochopped
    1 seeded jalapeño pepper and chopped fine
    ¼ c. onion chopped
    ¼ cup green bell pepper chopped
    1 tsp salt
    2/3 cup sugar (or less)

I made the following adaptations:

* 1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple with no sugar added instead of the small can. I had it sitting there and we decided the whole thing sounded good.
    * Green onions instead of regular because I had them on hand. My yellow onions seem really strong right now.
    * Much less sugar, just about 1-2 tablespoons.
    * Salt to taste. We are salt sensitive and many things taste too salty to us.

I used a half a jalapeño instead of a whole (we are wimps) but we decided it could have used the whole thing. We ate it with white corn chips. Alice's only complaint was its lack of chunkiness. I was in a hurry and did it all in the food processor.

Yum!

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

I love fresh cranberries, although I am not crazy about cranberry relish. I like it OK, but it is not my favorite cranberry dish by far. I love them in pies, muffins, cakes, etc. It's too bad that most folks only know cranberries for the one time opening of the can at Thanksgiving. I hope I can make some more things with them this winter for the holidays. Here's one I made for Thanksgiving that was a big hit. I had to laugh Jennifer, because my experience was similar, we ended up going for seconds and licking the bowls!

Cranberry-Cherry Crumble, from "Cooking Light" magazine

3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed (that's one package)
    3 cups frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed (I didn't measure, just used a whole bag)
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup dried cherries (I just used 1/2 cup dried cherries, no dried cranberries. You could probably sub some raisins too, to save money)
    1 TBLSP all purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch (I used some tapioca I found in the cupboard instead of cornstarch)
    Cooking spray (I used olive oil to oil the pan)
    1/4 cup slivered almonds, chopped
    1/4 cup regular oats
    1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I used regular)
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. almond extract (I left this out)
    2 TBLSP chilled butter, cut into small pieces

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl, tossing gently to coat fruit. Spoon mixture into an 8 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
    Combine almonds and the next 7 ing. (thru extract) in a med. bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until mixture resemles coarse meal. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over the fruit. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.
    Serves 8