SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Canned cranberry sauce/jelly

Would you, or do you, eat the cranberry sauce that comes in a can? I haven't until now, but I'm thinking about serving it for Christmas dinner.

At Thanksgiving I made my usual--several gallons of cranberry relish, using fresh cranberries, oranges, pineapple, apples, and raspberry gelatin. It's a traditional family favorite. But I have a couple of cans of the jellied sauce that were left in my late mother's kitchen stash, and since whole, fresh cranberries were 2.99/12oz at the grocery store last week, I'd like to use the canned stuff.

I plan to cube it, and lightly mix with mandarin orange slices, pineapple chunks, and oj/ginger marinated apple chunks, all the same size pieces m/l, so it will look more like a salad. I might sprinkle with some roughly chopped English walnuts and add a mint sprig before serving.

What do you think? Will it pass muster? The meal will be very simple this year--baked ham, green beans, my BIL's hashbrown casserole, salad/veg dish of mushrooms, artichoke hearts, peas, grape tomatoes, ripe olives, pasta, and chicken breast chunks. I'll reserve a couple tablespoons of the cranberry jelly to dilute and glaze the ham.

I usually put a dish of the homemade cranberry relish on the dessert table, but this will just be served beside the ham.

Do you have any other methods for dressing up the canned jelly?

Comments (33)