SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adoptedbygreyhounds

'Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day' question

I'm having trouble with this and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Hope someone can help.

First I tried the Master Recipe for Boules. It was so soupy, there was no way to "pull up and cut off a grapefruit size piece." It just ran through my fingers and made a mess.

Next, assuming that I had mis-measured the flour, I tried again with the European Peasant Bread recipe. Same results and I am positive I measured everything correctly. After about four more days, one week total, I went ahead and tried to use it. Added 3 or more cups flour, just enough to get it out of the container. It looked more like foccacia, had wonderful, yeasty flavor but terrible texture, hard and dense. I don't think I allowed it to rise long enough, but at any rate, my problem is with the soupieness of the original dough, not with the rising.

For what it's worth, I have been making bread for 40 (?) years or more; first, in the traditional way learned from my grandmother, and more recently, no-knead bread mainly from Suzanne Dunaway's "No Need to Knead." (Love this book)

If you are still reading this and have any suggestions, I would appreciate any help. I really want to make this work.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus