SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustangs81

Buying Coffee Maker-What To Look For

mustangs81
15 years ago

As some of you know, I don't make, drink, or buy coffee although I did have a cup in 1976. I have always had a coffee maker in case guest want to make some.

I have a KitchenAid coffee maker that is a current model. In an effort to figure out how to make coffee this week--I failed twice--I found out that the KitchenAid that I have isn't really a good maker. So I want to buy one that even I could use successfully.

QUESTION: What should I consider when looking for a coffee maker that is used infrequently and doesn't need pre-programming?

Thanks for your input,

Cathy

Comments (55)

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Cathy, I can tell you from first hand experience that your coffee maker is very good and you have no need to buy a new one. Since you only use it for company, here are several rules to follow.

1. Buy good grounds. Better yet, buy beans and grind when you will use them. Flogers, HIlls Bros do not do it. If you open the can and the color of the grounds is brown, forget it. You want a dark almost black color to the pre-ground coffee.
    2. Keep your coffee in the freezer, in a foodsaver until you need it.
    3. Do not skimp on the grounds when making coffee. Use one heaping tablepoon for every 2 cupsas a general rule but I have a sliding scale that I have found to work perfectly. Ex: If I am making a pot of 4 cups, I toss in 3 scoops, 6 cups is 4 scoops, 8 cups is 5 scoops, 10 is 6 scoops, 12 is 7.

4. Use cold water to start the pot, do not use warm or hot. It has something to do with the oxygen level. Not sure hw this works but I can tell a differance.

5. Keep it clean, but I know you do that anyway. If you make a flavored coffee (yuck), be sure to wash the pot and the filter area well. The flavoring can linger in there for the next pot.

And is there a point to de-caf?

Hugs,
    Peppi

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Here are three features I always look for when buying a coffee maker.

1. Drip stop feature so you can pour a cup before it finishes dripping
    2. A see-through water level indicator in the outside so you can easily see how much water you've poured in
    3. A vacuum carafe rather than a heater to keep the coffee warm. Heaters cook the coffee. I also like to bring the carafe to the table and have hot coffee.

I always buy good coffee. Starbucks is my favorite although I know others don't like it. I like strong coffee -- no cream or sugar.

I do think the french press idea is good for the occasional cup.

Oh my gosh, I love coffee!

• Related Discussions

Coffee Or Coffee Maker For Good Coffee?

Q

Comments (23)
    I use 12 level tbsps of coffee plus about 1 1/2 more for our ten-cup Braun. I always offer guests added hot water if it's too strong, but no one has ever complained. We buy Don Francisco online or from the catalog; it's DH's favorite. Don't care for Starbucks; it tastes very harsh to me. We have a variety of D.F. flavors that we like. When they have a sale we occasionally spring for Kona. There is now a discussion about coffee brewed in French press coffee makers being bad for one's cholesterol. A Dutch study comparing filtered to unfiltered coffee indicated that this was the case. There's a fair amount online about this question. I just googled 'french press coffee cholesterol'. Very interesting information.
    ...See More

Keurig Coffee Makers & Coffee

Q

Comments (35)
    I'm one of those who cannot make a good pot of coffee, because hubby and I are not coffee drinkers. If we have guests who want coffee, I usually have someone else make it or pull out a VERY old perculator which many of our friends and relatives seem to prefer. We have some good coffee stores and that is where I buy coffee. You can grind it then or buy the beans and grind at home. We have a keurig at work and there are two who especially seem to like it and use many different flavors. However most seem to prefer the old drip maker or the espresso machine. I do get the comment about a "good" cup of coffee. Occasionally, in a restaurant I might order a cup with dessert and there is one restaurant especially who has really good coffee. tina
    ...See More

Use washing machine supply for washer, ice maker & coffee maker?

Q

Comments (5)
    You can find the parts you need at any local hardware store and they are relatively cheap. Parts You need: 2ea. 1/4" compression needle line stop valve 1ea. 1/4" compreesion Tee 1/4" copper tube to make the additional lines. Tools you will need: Tubing cutter to cut the copper. (I prefer a mini cutter for 1/4") Two wrenches that fit the valves..(two 8" adjustable wrenches would do fine) Cut the pipe where you want the tee to the first appliance. Remove an and cap off the tee but be careful, there is a tiny brass ferrule under that cap that you need. First slip the cap on the copper with the open side of the cap pointing towards the cut end of the copper tubing. Now slip the ferrule on the tubing. (the ferrule looks like a miniature mans wedding ring). Insert the end of the pipe into the fitting as far as it will go, then slide the cap forward, pushing the ferrule up against the end of the fitting and screw the cap on the end of the fitting finger tight. Now hold the fitting steady with one wrench while you tighten the cap with the second wrench. Follow the diagram in the illustration I am attaching and use the same technique to tighten all the fitting caps.
    ...See More

Drip coffee maker, what kind of filter do you use?

Q

Comments (14)
    Pkponder, diterpenes allegedly raise LDL levels. Apparently paper filters remove more diterpenes. I just collected that during my reading, it will not figure into my decision.
    ...See More
  • arley_gw
    15 years ago

dedtired, if you like Starbucks, try Community Coffee. It's from Baton Rouge. The Dark Roast is strong but really smooth. IMHO superior to Starbucks.

I used to 'import' Community until the stores here in my part of SC started carrying it.

Here is a link that might be useful: community coffee

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You all are sooo cool! You have made great points for me to consider.

Peppi, I was hoping that you would chime in since you have actually experienced my coffee maker. I bought Godiva Chocolate coffee for your visit but you mentioned that you didn't like flavored before I knew that you didn't like flavored coffee.

Is this the French coffee thingy? I found it in the back of my pantry; as you can see it has dust on it. I bought it because of the color (early 90's hunter green).

• compumom
    15 years ago

Yes, it is!! I totally agree with Ann & Annie. We use the french press almost exclusively, in fact we have 4 different pots in varying sizes. They always make good rich coffee.
    Although we aren't Starbuck's fans, their Cafe Verona, ground for a french press makes great coffee! If this one holds six to eight ounces use two scoops-- (2 tablespoons worth).

Cathy you are the consummate hostess! LOL

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

Cathy,

Definitely go with a cool-touch type of carafe. This keeps your coffee from burning.

Also, this is one little pet peeve of mine. Lately, it seems like the coffee carafe designs are made where the spout is shorter than the total width of the carafe. This causes drips when pouring, IMO. If the carafe is flared at the bottom, make sure the spout is long enough...not a tiny little nub of a thing. Long spouts are a plus.

Steve and I are serious coffee drinkers and love the coffee maker we bought from Starbucks a few years ago. It was a little expensive ($100), but we've been very happy and no drips!

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

I was going to suggest a French Press as well! Easy storage, easy clean up, coffee takes two minutes to brew from the time you pour in the boiling water, and you can get them in one-serving sizes if you want. Coffee is always fresh, and they're much smaller than a whole coffee machine.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Yep a French press makes wonderful coffee....but like Alexa I am in love with my Senseo.
    I punch the button on my way to the door to let Chabby out in the morning and have a cup ready to drink before she's through with the "sniff and squat"! I love it for just me....and my son and hisw ife love it for them and the occasional house guest (who? me??)
    It's really nice to be able to offer a guest a cup of coffee of any of a number of "flavors" and when they want a secone cup say...what kind this time?
    I use it for as many as 4 guests....but for more I use the Mr Coffee or whatever brand I currently have.
    However....for someone who does not serve coffee every day, the Senseo has a huge footprint!
    Linda C

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Whooo Hoo to the french press! We used to drink alot of coffee, but, it now upsets my stomach. So now when I feel the urge to have a cup in the afternoon I pull out the french press and make a single cup of coffee (with a Previcid). It's hell getting old ;-)

I do have a Cuisenart for large gatherings and like it very much.

Cathy, I remember you telling me that your last cup of coffee was in 1976, when we went to Sanibel Island to see Janet...

• luckytiff02
    15 years ago

Well, the first thing you have to consider is your budget. The main goal for you should be to buy a quality espresso maker at a price you can afford.

For assessing quality, read product reviews or ask around. Word of mouth can be a great resource when it comes to buying anything. If you plan on buying online, as the site owner or seller. They can usually give you some specs on how it works, if it had any problems, condition, etc.

Now to find the right product, you have a ton of options. You could go to auction-based sites like eBay. The only issue with that is the quality of the product that you're bidding on. You have to make sure that it's from a reliable seller who isn't embellishing on the condition of the product.

Another way to do it is to check with specialty retailer websites. Personally, I like delonghiespressocoffeemaker.com/. They offer a wide selection of coffee supplies, makers, accessories, etc. Plus they have a few models with cheaper price.

Here is a link that might be useful: DeLonghi Coffee Maker

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

I'd like to know how much luckytiff gets paid to shill different companies here. Every single post of his/hers has a clickable link to some company or another- often the same ones, and sometimes not even germane to the topic.

• beanthere_dunthat
    15 years ago

Mustangs, I'd say go with the French Press, too. The thing to remember, however, is that you have to grind coffee for French press extra coarse. A lot of French presses end up in garage sales because the owner tried to use pre-ground-for-drip coffee and didn't like the sensation of sifting mud through his/her teeth.

If you really want an electric drip brewer, look for one that brews between 195-204 F and brews into a thermal carafe. Personally, I don't care about all the fancy timers and dodads, and it's really best if you don't "stop and pour" because of the way the coffee brews in a drip brewer. (For heaven's sake, it doesn't take so long to brew a pot of coffee that someone can't wait two minutes.)

My personal favorite drip brewer is the Zojirushi, but there are others that are good. I can no longer recommend Krups. They "ain't what they used to be" since the company was bought out a few years back. Gardengrl is completely on target about the spout. MIL has a Braun with that issue, and I curse everytime I use the thing. It drips more than goes in the cup.

Buy the coffee fresh. It really does make a difference. If you're serving it to guests, why serve them something that's not as good and fresh as the rest of the meal? And I respectfully disagree with Peppi about the color of coffee. Some coffees are best roasted at a medium roast; others are better at a darker roast. It depends on the bean and the skill of the person roasting. Sometimes it even depends on the particular harvest. To say that all coffee must be dark roasted is like saying all meat must be cooked well-done. :) If you go in a coffee shop and all the coffees are roasted the same color, leave. The person doesn't have a clue what s/he is doing.

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

One last thing. I remember reading in a Bon Appetit issue earlier this year where they explained that keeping coffee beans/grounds in your freezer doesn't do a thing to help keep them fresh.

They recommended to just keep them at room temp and try to use it or buy smaller quantities. I can't remember how long they recommended keeping coffee beans/grounds.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LindaC, thanks for the footprint comment. I had been thinking about the Senseo for the self-contained pod factor but I don't want something big on the counter when usage is seldom.

Kathy, That's one of the frustrating problems with the KA carafe.

If I go to Whole Foods where they grind it up for you, can I get just a small amount of coffee?

To the French Press option, I will practice using all of your suggestions then I'll report back. The report won't be until I return from taking Beau to Disney tonight and tomorrow. Yes, I know we took him 3 weeks ago but gee, we didn't go to Animal Kingdom!

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Arley, thanks for the tip about Community Coffee. I've never seen it here. The other coffee that comes close to S-bucks for me is Peet's.

Gardengrl, good point about dripping carafes. My last coffee maker had that problem. Drove me nuts and I was forever wiping drips from the floor and down the cabinets.

I bow down before the great gods of coffee.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

Senseos are not idiot proof. And no, I am not going to tell you how I know that.

• nandina
    15 years ago

The newest model of the 12 cup Bonjour french press has a fine strainer built into the pouring spout. No more grounds/silt in the bottom of the cup. It makes wonderful coffee!

• lowspark
    15 years ago

HereÂs an answer from a fellow non-coffee-drinker. IF youÂre going to buy a new one, buy the simplest easiest one on the market. I had a fancy coffee maker that I got when I got married (the first time) that I never did learn how to use. I finally ditched it and bought a $10 coffee maker (ok, this might have been about 20 yrs ago, but it was basic and cheap). Since then, whenever I DO have to make coffee, itÂs so easy. Put in a filter, throw in the coffee, pour water into the well, and plug it in.

Most of the time when a guest wants coffee I invite them to make it, simply because I donÂt know how strong they prefer it. People are happy to come in the kitchen and make it to their taste. I just pull out all the supplies and leave them to it.

And yes, I buy Folgers or Maxwell House or whatever. I keep it in the fridge. I understand that coffee connoisseurs prefer other brands, fresh beans, etc. But thatÂs just not in my repertoire. Regular ol canned coffee, full o caffeine, is what I have to offer. IÂve never had a coffee drinker turn up their nose at it. Maybe theyÂre just reserving comment, but they drink it and seem to be happy with it!

Some may think me lacking as a hostess for this but thatÂs ok. I make up for that with my fabulous personality and other hostessing skills! LOL

• velodoug
    15 years ago

We have an 8-cup Melita caraffe with a cone that takes #6 filters, and a couple of individual cup Melita cones that take #2 filters. Simple, inexpensive, and they make very good coffee.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I think good coffee has a lot more to do with the beans than the coffee maker. I would get a basic drip pot because it makes 10-12 cups and guests are familiar with it. When you know guests are coming buy some fresh beans. And get a grinder. It's as important as a coffee maker.
    The insulated carafe type would be my first thought unless you want something cheap.
    I use a cheap, old maker but always grind my beans fresh, use filtered water, unbleached filters and drink the coffee immediately or pour it up into a thermos. It's always good coffee and guests almost always comment on it.
    I'd buy fresh roasted too if it were more convenient.

And the only reason I use a cheapo coffee maker is because I have to have something 12" or less high to fit into my appliance garage and there aren't many. I have a nice coffee maker for show and I set out for parties. Coffee tastes the same.

• kandm
    15 years ago

Every so often I take advantage of Gevalia's offer (www.gevalia.com) and get a free coffee maker. For $14.95 (this includes shipping and handling too) you get 2 boxes of pretty decent coffee and they throw in a coffee maker. They count on the fact you will forget to cancel the auto shipments. I cancel as soon as I receive the package.

I enjoy their coffee and the coffee maker I received last time was really nice. Stainless steel 12 cup programmable version. It also included a stainless steel scooper and some cone filters.

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

LOL! Bumblebeez, you know I never knew what an "appliance garage" was until yesterday. I was listening to the radio and heard some talkshow hosts talking about it.

Whenever I heard someone talking about their appliance garage, I kept thinking, "they keep their appliances in the garage???" Now I know! Too funny.

• beanthere_dunthat
    15 years ago

Gardengrl - We always told people no more than 14 days from the roaster, and we would not sell them past five days out of the roaster.

Coffee actually goes stale faster in the fridge (although with something like Folgers, that might be a blessing). The only time we recommended keeping it in the freezer was if you know you're going to have it for more than two weeks (and can't be talked out of buying less more often) and if you triple wrap it and then don't keep taking it out/putting it back in the freezer (condensation is a bad, bad thing.)

When I'm a guest, I drink what's offered to me and say nothing...that time. If the coffee sucks or is old, I know on the next visit to politely decline.

It just doesn't make sense to me that if the only reason someone has coffee is to please a guest, that they then offer stale cheap coffee. Why? It just puts the guest in the postion of having to choke it down. If the person knows you well enough to know you don't drink coffee, they probably don't expect to be served any. :)

• lowspark
    15 years ago

You might be right, beanthere. I don't know. But I'm wondering if there are degrees of coffee lovers. I mean, maybe not all coffee drinkers are that discerning? Folgers and Maxwell House do sell a few cans of their product annually don't they? People who've drunk the coffee at my house haven't turned it down the next time they came over.

I am thankful that my guests don't expect the most expensive gourmet food and drink when they come to my house. I'd hate to think of anyone feeling like they'd choked down any thing stale or cheap at my house... but then again probably the kind of people who feel that strongly about such things wouldn't enjoy my company in the first place.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

One more thing.... I'm pretty sure my friends would let me know if my coffee were stale. They're all pretty sweet and sincere. I can't imagine they'd just choke down something which clearly had something wrong with it without telling me so that I could do something about it. But then again, I hang out with pretty down-to-earth people who are more into good times and good company than into worrying about whether the coffee I served was gourmet enough for them.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

May, Should I tell Beanthere (cute name) our dirty little secret??

I made a dry mixture with (YIKES!) freeze dried instant coffee, Godiva cocoa mix, Hershey's coco, and Splenda. I sent a batch to May last year so we could make mocha smoothies in the morning since neither of us drink coffee.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Oh, and Cathy, it was DELICIOUS! I made some more for myself and drank that all up as well. Haven't made any in a while, I need to!!

• amck2
    15 years ago

DH isn't picky about many things, but coffee is one of them. His biggest gripe with many coffeemakers is that they don't make a piping hot cup of coffee.

We had one w/ a stainless carafe that eliminated the heating plate, but we always had to warm the pot w/ very hot water before brewing - otherwise the coffee would cool down pronto as soon as it hit the cold metal carafe.

We now use French presses exclusively. We have 3 at the lake where we entertain a lot. Gives us the flexibility to brew decaf for some guests and dark roasts for those on the other end. We have an electric kettle to heat the water really fast and the pots are served steamin' hot.

I actually like the appearance of the presses on the table, and it makes it convenient to refresh your cup.

Beenthere spoke to making sure you get bean coffee and to grind them right before brewing if you can.

We've been through lots of machines, but for us the simplest has proved to be the best.

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

Mustangs - Your ingredients list almost made me throw up. But only because I thought I had clicked on the "good seafood batter/breading?" thread, LOL! Any specific proportions on your mix? Sounds like something the wife would like.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Renee, like you, I usually decline if I know that the person offering the coffee really isn't a coffee drinker. I always turn down coffee a second time too if I know that the coffee served is going to be flavoured coffee. I can drink a bad, weak cup of coffee but I have trouble getting down a cup of flavoured coffee. This has nothing to do with being "down to earth" or a snob. It is just a matter of my taste. Like carrots, I hate flavoured coffee. Especially Hazelnut,vanilla, almond or fruit flavours.

What really amazes me too is the number of restaurants that serve really bad coffee.

May, I had one friend in Toronto that was a big time coffee drinker. She drank coffee all day long. And she only bought Maxwell House. And she made a great cup of coffee. I drank many a good cup of coffee at her house. But her coffee was always fresh.

I agree that getting together with good friends and having a good time together is what is important. But I also think that good food, good wine and good coffee contributes to that good time and the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Ann

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Ann,
    I didn't mean to imply that people who have specific tastes in coffee are snobs (not my word). I guess I just felt taken aback by the implication that my coffee was cheap and stale and that my guests were in the situation of having to choke it down.

I just don't agree that it's better not to serve coffee than to serve the grocery store kind. Lots of people like it, obviously. If my guest doesn't prefer that kind, it's his/her option to decline coffee. But to say that I should either serve gourmet or nothing is, IMHO, not reasonable.

I definitely agree that good food, wine, etc, contribute to the evening. My point is that good doesn't necessarily mean "gourmet". Good can mean a cup of Folgers to many people. And if by some chance my coffee did turn stale in the fridge, I'd want them to tell me so I could throw it out instead of serving it again. I certainly would NOT want my guests to choke down a bad cup of coffee, or bad anything in my house.

I just disagree with the implication that folgers = bad, and that the ONLY coffee good enough to serve to people is freshly roasted freshly ground beans made in a specialized coffee maker.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

May, I agree that you don't have to buy the "gourmet" coffee to have a decent cup of coffee. But you do have to have fresh coffee. So even if you are buying Folgers or Maxwell house, there is no way that it is going to be any good if it has been in the fridge for a month or two, or heaven forbid longer. Since you only make coffee when you have guests, why not just buy a small quantity of coffee when you need it. Doesn't have to be expensive coffee. Most grocery stores carry their own brand of beans. You can buy a half pound and grind it at the store to suit the type of coffee maker you own.

I very much doubt that your coffee drinking friends would tell you that your coffee isn't up to par. And I bet those same coffee drinking friends would be really touched if they knew that you had bought fresh coffee just for them.

Ann

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

I am not a (real)coffee drinker. Well, I do make some kind of concoction of an amaretto flavored decaf coffee, sugar and fat free half and half in the mornings. I know...it sounds awful, but it's mine.

For guests, I buy small amounts of a brand name "grind it yourself" coffees at the grocery and invite them to measure and pour for themselves. That way, I'm fairly sure they're getting something they want. :)

Pam

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Cathy, you have mail....

• beanthere_dunthat
    15 years ago

Mustangs, if you like it and get enjoyment from it, that's what counts. :) Ah, the name. Well, when I changed ISP/email addy, then couldn't remember my blasted password, it was just easier to start all over than deal with the hassle.

Ok, maybe "choke down" was heavy-handed. I apologize for that. I'm simply baffled by the contradiction of going to all that trouble just for guests, then not giving it the same attention as the rest of the meal.

Ann, before MH went to those insipid plastic contaners, I could drink it if it was freshly opened can and freshly brewed. I've never been able to drink Folgers without feeling like I'd swollowed a flame thrower business end first.

I was recently on the road for about a month. We made coffee using a Melitta drip most mornings and whatever coffee we coulf find that wasn't Folgers or Starbucks. Much as I loathe WalMart, we ended up in the middle of nowhere with that our only option. The Sam's Club coffees aren't bad if they are brewed strong, and they are inexpensive. Regardless, after being opened for a while, any coffee is going to lose most of it's flavor.

I admit it; I'm spoiled about coffee. I've eaten my share of cream of whatever soup, blue box mac and cheese and ramen noodles, but I want good -- meaning fresh -- coffee.

• colleenoz
    15 years ago

We had a public TV series on the coffee industry recently. Folgers in particular and Maxwell House seem to use some questionable business practices and have exerted political pressure to keep prices to coffee growers artificially low. I prefer to buy free trade coffee as a small way of helping the person who grows and picks my coffee to make a living wage.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is funny that my question evoked comments like "choke down" and "almost made me throw up". Bottom line is I put the coffee maker in the closet and practiced on my neighbor with the French Press. Seems like it's all about the coffee beans anyway. Thanks all.

Peppi, my friend and coffee mentor was concerned that I used "instant" to make the ice cubes for my smoothies. Actually, the instant was recommended to me by the owner of the Cuban market I frequent. Our large Cuban community are coffee and espresso freaks.

Foodonastump, For your wife:

MOCHA SMOOTHIE
    Individual Serving 248 calories
    8 tbls of dry mix (see below)
    Pinch of salt
    8 tbls fat free half & half
    1 tray coffee ice cubes

Make a tray of coffee ice cubes day before.
    Add half & half, salt, and dry mix to blender.
    Blend until smooth. Add pre-crushed tray of coffee ice 1/3 at a time until smoothie texture.

DRY MIX
    Ingredients to Make a Batch
    1 Â 17.4 oz can Godiva Dark Chocolate Truffle Cocoa Mix
    1 cup Unsweetened Dark Cocoa
    4 cups Splenda-or to your liking

Mix dry ingredients very well. Store in airtight canister.

• michaelmaxp
    15 years ago

Hi all...buried at work...can't breathe....argggh

Coffee.

We work so hard perfecting our cooking; trade the best recipes, buy expensive utensils, trial and error, fresh ingredients. The same attention and passion, when put into your cup of coffee, can turn heads.

Folgers, sipped on a sleepy, foggy morning can be a wonderful thing, but when you wrap your lips around a cup of freshly ground, newly roasted, perfectly prepared bean juice, something else happens.

Folgers vs a 4 star cup of coffee could be compared to a ding dong vs a molten lava cake, or a restaurant plastic square of grape jelly vs Jesse's habanero gold.

It's totally worth the effort...

I like french press for 1 or 2 cups at a time. When we entertain and serve drip, I prefer a technivorm moccamaster. It sounds like some sort of fancy espresso maker but it's simply a coffee brewer- but one that actually gets and stays hot enough to really extract the flavors that other machines leave in the bean. and it's fast, very fast.

michaelp

• michaelmaxp
    15 years ago

or is that annie's habanero gold?

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Annie's.

Michael darling I lost your email. I wanted your opinion about Blue Bottle Coffee aka $$$$.

I don't want to hijack this thread so if you want to email me thats OK too. I almost went back to that other site to track you down. Glad you checked in.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

....I forgot to ask why you don't use a Clover? darfc

• michaelmaxp
    15 years ago

Hi Jessi,

My top secret email address is ********@*******.***
    (I'll send it to you later)

As far as hijacking a coffee thread with a coffee question- Ahhh, yer just being overly sensitive...

Clover!!
    I am eccentric and I tend to spend money that I don't have, but even I can't justify 11 thousand dollars for a pressurized french press. Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me one, I'd move my wifes clothes out of the house to make room for it, but nobody has offered me their Clover.

Blue Bottle Coffee:
    I haven't tried it. It gets good reviews. Organic is a good thing in any food product but it doesn't make a bean great if grown in inferior soil, under lousy sun conditions, or grown at a compromised elevation. I've had some pretty lousy organics and some that are very nice. I suspect that Blue Bottle is a mix of excellent growing conditions, plus the fantastic bonus of organic, and some pretty whiz bang marketing. They appear to be the new kid on the block. I'll buy some when I see it- as long as it's not pre-ground and no older than 10 days from roasting.

When I first got into the coffee biz I was pretty adventuresome trying hundreds of beans to detirmine what I wanted to sell. After landing one that was perfect for the espresso flavor that made me dance (but only if prepared perfectly- otherwise mediocre) and still very very good from a French Press or Technivorm, I slowed down my tasting endeavors. I'll still try a new bean from time to time but no longer in the business I tend to stick to what I already love so as not to be disappointed. I've been drinking the same roast from the same roaster for 15 years now. What a boring guy I've become...

I sure miss this place. I barely have the energy or time now to quickly scan the posts twice a week.

michaelp

Here is a link that might be useful: Clover

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Michael, I'll really glad that you checked in and contributed to my quest for coffee enlightenment as you are are coffee go-to guy.

Cathy

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Michael, thats why my DH said (about the Clover and Blue Bottle Coffee) LOL. Looking forward to an email.

• michaelmaxp
    15 years ago

Jess your DH is a bright fella...

• vacuumfreak
    15 years ago

Cathy, I also don't drink coffee and wanted to get a coffee maker just to have in case someone who was visiting wanted some. Or, to have to use in recipes that requires coffee. You did the right thing in researching first. I ended up buying the cheapest thing on the shelf.

I tried to find a percolator, either stove top or electric. I was not able to find one, so I ended up just buying a 4 cup Mr. Coffee. It's programable, but I don't leave it plugged in. When I bought the machine, I also bought some Barney's White Christmas coffee. It's flavored, and with a lot of sugar and milk it is WONDERFUL, but I still can't force myself to drink regular coffee.

It seems that everyone I know who really enjoys coffee uses a french press. That's great that you already have one, maybe you won't have to buy anything unless you want something a little more modern. When I was a child in the 90s, I dreamed of growing up and having an all hunter green kitchen!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Beanthere, I agree about the fresh coffee. Dad drank Folgers and I just would have a cup of tea at his house, LOL, I absolutely cannot drink Folger's. It just doesn't taste good to me. I can drink Maxwell House and do at the office, sometimes, if that's what's made. It's only good if it's fresh and it's hot, though. That's probably how Ann T's friend makes good coffee from MH, if she drinks lots of coffee, it's always a fresh can, maybe.

I also don't care for Starbucks, it always tastes burned and my touchy stomach gets upset with Starbucks. Their decaf still has about 50 mg or whatever of caffeine, so Elery can't drink it either, he can't tolerate the caffeine. I like a local coffee, Paramount, and what used to be Beaner's, now Biggby coffee, both roasted here in Michigan so it's usually pretty fresh.

Still not as good as your Maggie Valley, though, I sure miss it since you went out of the coffee business. It was smooth, tasted good and didn't upset my stomach, and it was strong enough to make an occasional caramel mocha and still taste the coffee in spite of the milk. Sigh....

Michael, I'm not sure that habanero gold is anything even similar to grape jelly, LOL. Now you've reminded me, though, I want some of those cheese thumbprints with habanero gold in the middle. And a cup of coffee!

Annie

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bobby, I think I figured this coffee thing out too. It is all about the coffee. My only encounter with coffee was my mom's Maxwell House. Of late, I have been trying the samples at the coffee bean bar at the Fresh Market. I do half coffee made with fresh ground beans, two tablespoons of turbinado sugar, and fill the rest of the little cup with cream. I am finding that I look forward to having my little sample cup at the market.
    ALERT:
    I'm sure no one has used the smoothie recipe I posted but just in case--I no longer use Splenda because of consumer alerts. I didn't think about it when I cut and pasted the recipe into this thread.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Michael, I think you and my DH would get along just great. :-)

• annie1992
    15 years ago

LOL, Cathy, that's how both of my girls started drinking coffee: lots of milk and sugar and a little coffee. Hmmmm, I think that's how I started drinking coffee too.

Be careful, you'll have a new addiction before you know it. (grin)

Nope, I haven't tried the smoothie recipe. Yet. Amanda would love it though.

Annie