SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

What did you make with Jessy's Fig Jam?

16 years ago

What are you making with Jessy's fig jam? When I first received Jessy's fig jam I started eating by the spoonful out of the jar! I'd sneak a spoonful and put it back in the frig. A little while later, I'd grab another spoon and get another spoonful. Then I thought, before I eat the whole jar this way, I should really make something elegant with this (I also got tired of washing all the spoons!) The first recipe I made were kolaches, very similar to the recipe below in the link except I used vanilla instead of lemon extract. I also glazed them.

Today I'm making these. They'll be given to friends & family at Christmas:

Cuccidati

FILLING

8 oz. black figs

3.75 oz. raisins

scant 2/3 C. honey

1/4 C. brandy

1.5 tsp orange zest

1 tsp lemon zest

1/4 tsp ground cloves, nutmeg

1 TB cinnamon

4 oz. almonds, roasted

3 oz. walnuts, roasted

Coarsely chop nuts, remove from food processor. Combine the rest; when homogenous, add nuts. Let chill at least 8 hours.

DOUGH

4 cups AP flour

1 C. + 2 TB sugar

1 TB baking powdr.

1 tsp salt

8 oz. butter, cut into small cubes

2 large eggs

1/2 C. whole milk

1.5 tsp vanilla

1.5 tsp lemon/orange zest

Pulse to mix dry ingredients in f.p., then cut in butter until fine crumbles. Dump into bowl and stir in wet ingredients. Form dough into 2 rectangles; chill at least 8 hours.

Roll one rectangle 13" x 10" and cut into 4 strips parallel to the 10" sides. Fill the center of each resulting 10" x 3/25" rectangle with a "worm" of filling, then flatten this somewhat. Wrap dough around filling a la Fig Newtons, flip so that seam side is down, cut into 1/2" slices.

Cook 15-20 minutes in a 375 degree oven until golden brown; remove from sheets after 3 minutes to rack. Overcooked yields a less buttery flavor.

Glaze with 1 cup 10x, 1.5 tsp vanilla, 1.5-2 TB brandy. In Italy these are often finished with colored sprinkles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kolache

Comments (13)