SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

Homemade mixes

ruthanna_gw
14 years ago

Do you ever make your own mixes to keep on hand for faster cooking?

I never intentionally set out to do it but I always baked quick breads, cookies or cakes to have on hand for packing in lunches or with tea in the evenings. When I was working full time with evening meetings, kid's softball, etc., it was hard to find the time to bake from scratch and avoid picking up a carton of Tastycakes.

I started doubling or tripling the dry ingredients for a recipe, especially ones that had lots of spices in it, then packaging and labeling the extra one or two mixtures in a Ziploc bag. If it had non-perishable mix-in ingredients like chopped nuts or dried fruit, I'd put them in a smaller bag inside the one with the dry ingredients.

The result was that I could make mix up baked goods by only having to add the wet ingredients. It cut the prep time to about half of that of the original baking.

Although we're now retired empty nesters, I still do the same and have mixes in the pantry for molasses and oatmeal cookies, biscotti, chocolate cake, prune-pecan cake, apricot nut bread and a couple of others, plus topping for apple crisp in the refrigerator from the last time I made it.

I'm interested to hear about what items you pre-mix. My friend has a box filled with those snack size baggies with the spices measured out for recipes she prepares often, like curries, salad dressings, etc. but I've never done that because I usually only measure precisely when baking.

Comments (11)