SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_oh

Homemade cake mix experiment

Tracey_OH
13 years ago

So I promised the results of my homemade cake mix. I made up the dry mix and baked my Valentine's Day cake. The result was a dry cake with a wonderful, buttery flavor. I had a hard time incorporating the butter into the dry mix plus the amount of butter seemed low. As you can see this did not deter my kids from eating the cake.

The second attempt was much better. I ended up using oil instead of butter and bumped it from 1/4 to 1/2 c. This produced a fine, almost delicate crumb. The buttery flavor was still pronounced even with subbing oil for the second addition of butter.

Here's the dry mix, and the results.

I will definitely make the mix again now that I have the texture I like. The cupcakes were mixed and ready to go in the oven before it even had time to preheat. Here is the original recipe. My changes are noted at the end.

•7-1/2 cups sifted flour

•1 Tbsp. salt

•4-1/2 cups sugar

•4 Tbsp. double acting baking powder

•3/4 cup cold butter

Preparation:

In very large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder and mix well to blend. Cut the butter into small pieces and place in food processor bowl along with 2 cups of the flour mixture. Cover and process until mixture is very fine. Make sure that the butter is completely evenly distributed in the flour mixture. If it isn't, your cakes will have uneven texture and each will turn out differently. Return to bowl with remaining flour mixture and mix well using a wire whisk.

Divide the cake mix into three equal portions (about 4 cups each) by lightly scooping the mix into measuring cups and leveling off with the back of a knife. Place each portion into a quart glass jar or heavy duty zip lock plastic bags. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to a month, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Each portion of cake mix will make two 8" cakes or one 13x9" cake.

•4 cups Homemade Cake Mix

•2 tsp. vanilla

•1/4 cup butter, softened

•3 eggs

•1 cup milk

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8" round cake pans OR one 13" x 9" cake pan with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.

Pour one portion of the cake mix into a large bowl. Make a well in center of mix and add vanilla, butter, eggs, and milk. Beat mixture 1 minute with electric mixer at low speed until blended. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl and beat 2 minutes longer at medium speed until batter is smooth.

Pour into prepared pans and bake the layer cakes at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until cake springs back when pressed lightly in center and begins to pull away from edges of pan. Bake the 9" x 13" cake for 25-35 minutes until the cake tests done.

********Notes: I subbed cake flour for 3 c of the regular flour. I measued out 1 c + 2T of cake flour for every cup replaced. I also added in 3/4 c dry milk then added water instead of milk when mixing up the cake. I also replaced the second addition of 1/4 c butter with 1/2 c oil.

Comments (13)