SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Unheated Entry with Knotty Pine needs paint/stain

Hi, we redid an unheated entry to the front door, that is a small maybe 6ft x 6ft space, with 2 doors and 2 windows. A year ago we installed knotty pine paneling with new trim around the windows and doors, a baseboard and a new crown molding. The paneling and trim have been there a year without any finish on them. Haven't even filled the finish nail holes or prepped the surface.

Here in Massachusetts, it's been warm but now the weatherman is predicting cool down next week. By Tuesday, it's going to be 38 overnight, but 60s in the day. Between now and Tuesdays it is going to rain with a few brief periods of clearing and drying out as we get closer to Tuesday.

I could really use some help, because for such a small project, it feels a little more than I'm up for. I don't have a lot of experience with filling the nail holes, don't know what product would be right, to 'match' the color of the paneling, so the holes won't be noticeable, if we put a clear coat of stain on it. Thinking about whether I could just paint the trim and use wax or some other product like that on the paneling. And I am concerned that if I don't choose the right time to do the work, perhaps any low overnight temperatures, might keep the paint from drying right and cause some future peeling or something.

That's the trouble with knowing enough to get you into trouble but not enough to accomplish what you need to. (g). Any information offered, would be appreciated!

Comments (5)