SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joslin99

Need help with knotty pine kitchen

joslin99
12 years ago

I need help with my 1998 kitchen. My house was built in 1900 and has multiple types of wood and various "updates" I think that the previous owners went with knotty pine to replicate the original kitchen (probably not actually "original" but it was old and here when they moved in) that they ripped out. The house has doug fir trim that I am slowly stripping, maple floors and birch doors.

The cabinets were made locally and low-end. They are full frame, entirely pine but the finish was one coat of water based poly and it has not aged well inside or out. The doors are T&G bead board that was ripped down and braced, so they are not all perfect as the ripping was not perfect. The shelves are not adjustable but are sitting permanently in a routed channel and then stapled.

So my problem is that I have this loathesome knotty pine and cabinets that need a new finish, but I can't really justify replacing them since they are solid and the layout is fine, but I don't think I can just buy new doors b/c of the full frame and knife edge hinges.

If I paint them would I also have to paint the inside? Would the knots bleed through when they have been poly'ed this long?

Do I have any other options?

the rest of the house is trending his way:

These are the original kitchen cabinets that I tried to strip but failed since they had no finish before they were painted. I caulked the grooves of the beadboard to minimize their effect and then painted them yellow. I would like to replace these doors and add some additional wall cabinets in this mud room to reflect whatever we end up doing with the kitchen.

Comments (11)